Tessuti Yuki Dress

tessuti yuki dress did you make that

On Monday, Minerva Crafts sent me some of their famous Prada Self Lined crepe. (And yes, it stands up to the hype.) On Tuesday, Tessuti Fabrics released their Yuki pattern. By Thursday, I had a new dress.

Remind me. What did I say recently about slow sewing?

Tessuti Yuki Dress Red Crepe Image

Definitely what helped was a visit to my local Copy Shop. I’m lucky. It’s a five minute walk from the house. For £9, they printed out the pattern for me, with no taping together required. This service actually cost more than the pattern itself and I’ve since been given a top tip about Plot Giant for printing. So maybe I’ll try them next time. Or maybe I’ll stroll down the street again to pick up my print out, mainly because the below sight makes me laugh…

copy shop print out sewing pattern

This makes me laugh, too…

tessuti fabrics yuki dress did you make that

‘You only sew to pick up the men,’ my friend mumbled as she took this photograph. She was fresh off a plane from New Zealand. We hadn’t seen each other in a couple of years. My first words after giving her a quick hug? ‘Take my photograph before the light goes?’

Sewing, huh?

So, the Yuki pattern. Love it. Love, love, LOVE. It’s another of those classic cocoon shapes that I find so comfortable to wear. This one has pockets, but not just any pockets. There’s an interesting construction process that stops them from flip flapping open. Nice, neat pockets that don’t gape. All the love.

As mentioned, the crepe is self lined with a satin wrong side. I used this for my contrast neckline. Some careful hand stitching was involved. Turning the drawstring tie was obviously like tramping around the seventh circle of hell, but I persisted. You could use upholstery cord, a strip of leather or even a chain – or you could simply construct the collar as a cowl and leave out the drawstring.

yuki dress collar

That’s me done! I wonder how many more Yuki dresses I’ll make. Several, I suspect. Are you tempted?

Tessuti Yuki Dress

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Tessuti Yuki Dress

1. Debby says:

Gorgeous 😊

2. Oh, Karen, it’s gorgeous!! Great pattern, great match, total success!!

3. esewing says:

This is fab , love the cocoon shape and intrigued by non flapping pockets ! Red will always attract admirers 😊

4. PsychicSewerKathleen says:

Beautiful dress in just the right fabric – that what I enjoy the most about your makes! Gorgeous and comfortable and your posts are always so much fun 🙂

5. PocketC says:

It looks great and super comfy! I am also intrigued by the non-flapping pockets.

6. Elle says:

You look terrific in that dress! Great color and shape–looks both polished and comfy.

7. Chloe says:

I am tempted! This is my go-to winter silhouette, and that fabric – talk about a match made in heaven! Nice one!

8. Anna says:

I wanted to see the Yuki made up before buying the pattern. You’ve convinced me to get it. Lucky for me I can buy a hard copy of the pattern at the Tessuti shop in Melbourne, which I plan to do tomorrow.

9. Highball Emy says:

Hello! Do you know what format to ask for the patterns to be printed? I often want to have Seamwork patterns printed but I’m not sure if it needs to be in an American format rather than say, A0…. Thank you!

10. Mags says:

I wasn’t remotely tempted until I saw yours, its gorgeous. It really suits you Karen and the colour is fabulous.

11. Liza jane says:

Love, love, love it! You should wear red all the time.

12. It’s fab and I am so glad you persisted with the goddam roule tie because it looks so LUX!!!!

13. Julie says:

This is gorgeous, I love red and it looks great on you. Pockets, and not just any old pockets but super not flappy ones, sound wonderful. One of the best things about making your own clothes is the fact you can have pockets!

14. Rachel says:

Beautiful dress. I am now very definitely tempted to make it. I’ve never sewn Tessuti or crepe. Love a challenge.

15. Claudia says:

Okay, yes, I’m tempted. The dress looks fantastic on you!

16. Juls says:

Love a red dress! Suits you well and such a gorgeous make 🙂

17. Completely tempted. Although I would look like a sausage on a stick. You, however, look cute!

18. Mary E.Dadds says:

I just wanted to comment to let you know I have been reading your blog off and on for some time.Im always drawn back.Your sewing is beautiful and you choose the most lovely fabrics and prints. I think you look grand in reds.Love everything you ve done.I do sew a bit.Wish I had been more serious about learning more about it before now.Im not a young chic anymore.lol

19. Catherine says:

This is gorgeous! It made me do a quick trip to the pattern online to investigate. They recommend it for intermediate or ‘super advanced’ sewers – what is your view on this having made it? I’m wondering whether to tackle it – but it could be an expensive mistake if I’m not up to it. Thank you, by the way, for all the generous teaching and sharing you do on your blog. I’ve been benefitting from it for years!

• I think the only reason they might suggest that level is because of the delicate fabric they use around the neckline. But in terms of compexity of sewing, it really isn’t that challenging. So maybe choose a less expensive fabric for your first attempt. Good luck!

20. Juls says:

It’s gorgeous Karen and I love the red.
    I am very tempted, I’m about to complete the Inari and I’ll see if the cocoon shape suits me, if it does, the Yuki may be in my future 🙂
    Thank you for bringing the Prada fabric to my attention, I love the Inari you made in it too. Loving your blog as always, keep sewing 🙂