Miriam Cardigan, Quince & Co

Miriam Cardigan Quince And Co

If you want a summer cardigan to throw over outfits, meet the Miriam cardigan from Quince & Co, designed by Carrie Bostick Hoge. A neutral colour can be your best friend. I learnt that last summer when I bought a white cotton cardigan and wore it to death. It went with everything.

So, I invested in some Chickadee 100% wool from Loop. I think this project took seven skeins. This is not a cheap make. I often feel conflicted about the financial feasibility of certain crafts, and the implications for who is attracted to and felt included in making. I don’t drop £9.50 on a skein of wool lightly. But when you’ve experienced quality wool, the genie is out of the bottle. It’s difficult to go back to anything else. This is gorgeous wool and I’m quite certain there are lots of very good reasons it costs what it does. Still. There’s my middle class angst for the day. Feel free to throw your rotten kale at me in disgust!

knitted sleeve miriam cardigan

It took me, gulp, eight months to knit this. I am a slow knitter. Plus, this is a sport weight yarn, knitted on some of the tiniest needles available. (I knit loosely and often have to go down a couple of needle sizes. If you’re wondering what I’m talking about, check out this blog post on the importance of knitting a tension square.)

This cardigan was never going to be an overnight success. But I don’t mind slow knitting. For me, the process of knitting is arguably more important than the product. I love a meditative activity and I particularly love that knitting travels in a way sewing doesn’t. You can bung it in a suitcase and be off.

Don’t you think this cardigan is really wearable? I love the three-quarter-length sleeves, the raglan shaping, and deep hems.

miriam cardigan hem

I took a lot of care over the finishing and referred to Finishing Techniques for Hand Knitters for seam techniques. This is one of those books that looks very not-sexy, but is a real little gem. Below, a seam construction in progress. So neat!

miriam cardigan sleeve hem quince and co

Okay, that’s me done. Another cardigan down. What to knit next, what to knit next…? Don’t hold your breath. I’ll see you back here in eight months’ time!

Miriam Cardigan Did You Make That

Points out of ten to anyone who can spot the FAIL in this project. I’ll give you a clue – I didn’t buy all my yarn at the same time.

This entry was posted in sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Miriam Cardigan, Quince & Co

1. stitchedupsam says:

Oh, that’s really nice. I love the garter stitch edging. That pattern could tempt me back into knitting again, I haven’t picked up my needles for a long time.
    I had to squint really hard at the first photo, but are the sleeves a slightly different shade – different dye lot I assume. I’ve done it too!

2. Bridget says:

The dye lot differences in the sleeves are hardly noticeable. Same thing happened to me on a cardigan this year and it was so noticeable I had to tear out and start again.
    I agree that knitting is not an inexpensive hobby but when you think about how much a cardigan of this caliber would cost ready made it can help to put it in perspective.

3. crusicroom says:

Wow! I love this. I am also a very slow knitter but hope to pick up my needles again very soon 🙂

4. Jenny Lester says:

? Left hand cuff different dye lot maybe?

5. gingermakes says:

Lovely! It’s really a nice shade- sort of camel-y? Knitting really can be expensive. I sort of think of it as coming not from my wardrobe budget, but from my entertainment budget. I would never have (and never did) spent $100 on a sweater before I could knit, but $100 isn’t too bad for 8 months of spare time enjoyment!

6. craftysurf says:

Good Gravy!!!! You did that in ONLY eight months 😳 Who gives a rip about dye lots?!?! 🙄🤣
    Look at those TINY stitches!!!! Heirloom piece

7. It’s lovely! Even though it’s not a colour you’d ever catch me in. As for the mistake I guess you’re hinting at the line that goes from one upper arm to the other? I think we’ve all messed up dye lots one time. It’s just why I make stripes when I have a slow project. You can’t notice the change from one stripe to the next. And yes, quality wool is expensive – but so worth it!

• It’s a colour I found difficult to convince myself to buy, but I’d seen the advantages of a nice neutral and wanted to give it a go. I’m really happy I did!

8. Claudia says:

Here’s what I’ll say about the cost of Quince & Co. (and other similar yarns) – it’s worth it for the quality and care with which they handle their wool. The wool is sourced from US sheep and spun in the US, and they take great care to create an ethical and beautiful product (please note – I’ve written on sourcing materials as one engaged with slow fashion). Your cardigan is beautiful, and I think you’ll find your final cost per wear (if you’re into that sort of thing) will be low.

• Oh, I’m sure! The thing that leaves me feeling conflicted is that it’s a big chunk of money to spend in one go (if you’re going to make sure you don’t have dye lot issues, ahem) and that’s what makes me a bit anxious sometimes. That that is an initial investment privilege afforded to some. But I guess this applies to everything in life so I should probably shut up!

• Claudia says:

It’s good to be conflicted about spending a chunk of change; I just wish it were enough to keep me from increasing my stash – hah!

9. Fiona says:

I can hardly see the colour difference and I don’t think anyone else will, unless you point it out to them – which you probably will! Why do we do that?! Anyway, the cardigan is absolutely beautiful – the colour, the style, the finishing, everything. I expect you will be wearing it for years. I don’t have the patience for knitting – but hats off to you for seeing it through to the end! You should be proud to wear it!

10. Debby Hill says:

So near. Looks great.😊

11. Kelly says:

Beautiful! And I doubt I would have noticed the dye lot issue had you not mentioned it. I haven’t ventured outside of Knit Picks yet for yarn. I just know once I do, there’s no turning back…

12. Ann Warner says:

The cardigan is beautiful, is it knitted from the top down as Ive never knitted one that way before,

13. LaineeMakes says:

I love the cardigan, I can’t tell from your photos but I assume you’ve got different dye lots, well if you have to tell someone it’s there, it’s not a problem. I totally get what you’re saying about people being priced out of the craft as well, I was just chatting to a friend about this today. Thanks for the post I really enjoyed it.

14. jdiettrich says:

I feel you on the expense of yarn, particularly when buying a sweater amount. But like someone else said, the amount of $$ I’m spending is buying me many hours of enjoyment. I can possibly cruise through $100 worth of fabric in a couple of weeks (if I’m in the mood), but that much money in yarn is going to take me a month or two to get through. I love the process and the time and you’re right, once you touch the good stuff, you can’t go back. Besides, if you spend a little or a lot, it takes the same amount of time to knit. Savor the good stuff – it’s not like you’re banging out a sweater in a weekend.

15. Jenny says:

Those tiny stitches are so neat and really showcases, not only your excellent knitting but also the great quality of the yarn. Many years ago when I first started knitting you could ‘lay away’ your wool at the shop and buy it as you needed. That way you could be assured you had enough of the same dye lot. Of course you wouldn’t be able to lay it away for eight months!

16. Becky says:

This is a classic, elegant, gorgeous piece! I know exactly what you mean about the outlay of money. It’s hard. I justify it to myself for the time spent on it, and the value of having my hands busy for so long. I think this is a perfect pairing of color and design, Karen! Thanks for introducing me to this pattern.

17. Sarah says:

What a great cardigan! This will be a real workhorse 🙂

18. Quality wool is always worth the investment! I made a pure wool tweed (brown/deep green) sweater for my husband in 1990. It cost $90! That sweater just hit the dust bin this week! How much wear is that in a handsome, warm garment for the price? I’d guess mere pennies!

19. PocketC says:

What a great cardigan! I didn’t even notice the dye lot difference until I saw your note. I really want to knit a sweater this year too but the big investment is scaring me off as yet… but yours looks so great!

20. Kitty says:

Just beautiful and so worth every penny you spend and every stitch you made!

21. Ailsa says:

I love this pattern, I’m just finishing up my second one! I fully agree with you about the cost of buying good wool, there’s no doubt it’s worth the money but that’s a huge hole left in your pocket. I remember wool shops used to put your batch aside and allow you to buy it bit by bit over the weeks (months!) it would take to knit, but I suppose those were just wee local shops that knew all their customers well.

22. Nidgeworth says:

Gorgeous cardigan, such neat stitching, well done for perseverence. For future reference, if you find yourself with two different dye lots introduce the different yarn as early as possible and swap between the two doing two rows of each yarn at a time. This blends the colours together and makes the line less noticeable.

23. amcclure2014 says:

I like this cardigan. I’ve just picked up needles after many years but hope to beat your 8 months by a little at least! I’m a loose knitter (I’ve gone down one size in my chunky wool) and slow as I’ve never mastered the art of not looking at my knitting. If I manage to finish my current project I would consider this top and yes would use good quality yarn. ( If you hadn’t pointed out I’m sure nobody would’ve noticed the shade variation).

24. jocolumbine says:

Find a proper local yarn shop and chances are that like mine (the Village Wool Shop in Rossendale) they will be happy to let you buy your yarn in easier to manage batches, spreading the cost. Note that West Yorkshire Spinners produce great quality UK produced woollen yarns and if you bought WYS at your local yarn shop you’d be doing the UK knitting business a favour.

25. Beautiful work and such a versatile style, I’ve been looking for a cardigan pattern but somehow missed this, it’s lovely. I’m off to order a further ball of yarn for my soon to be project, I blithely ordered just enough but it’s a false economy and risky.

26. Cathy B says:

Lovely cardigan, perfect for S/S’17. I have been interested in trying Quince & Co for a while, and I didn’t realise it was sold here in the UK, thanks. I guess I will have to follow my own advice and spend up for some seriously nice yarn. My 2p: spending more on the yarn will get you: a.) a nicer finished garment, b) you (ok, me) will spend more time fixing mistakes and making sure (I) do a better job on the product, and c) it will make the pleasure of the hobby so much more of a joy. Eight months of knitting with a yarn that you love is a wonderful experience to give to yourself.

27. redsilvia says:

It’s lovely! I have used several types of Quince yarn and it’s really nice. I quite agree, unless you point out the change in dye lot, no one will notice. If you knit one sweater a year, I really don’t think it’s too much to pay to knit with yarn you like. It’s never going to be cheaper to knit or sew anything so just enjoy the projects you do choose and be mindful of the pennies in other areas.

Plus now we know you’re slow and loose… …

28. Jo says:

That is a very wearable cardigan to throw over everything. So what to knit next? Jo x

29. Mary Dadds says:

I love your cardigan.you did a really nice job.Cant wait to see your next project.

30. susew says:

Beautiful sweater. but does your eye wander to the line of the different dye lots on the left sleeve? I get a bit anxious when I near the end of a project and getting to my last ball of yarn for that very reason, though I’m a fairly fast knitter.

31. What a beautiful cardigan. It is such a perfect camel. Very stylish and the mix of dye lots is hardly noticeable (until you pointed it out). I don’t knit anything big (or neat) as I find it really hard to justify spending £££’s on wool, although over a season I will spend quite a bit on odd balls of Noro et al for scarfs. Also, I would die of old age before finishing anything that large. Fabric on the other hand……. 🙂 Xx

32. Christina Norton says:

I love your cardigan, so much so that I immediately bought the pattern and yarn to make one for myself. Your knitting looks so good, and your edges are brilliantly neat. What technique did you use to get them looking so fabulous?

33. sophie o. says:

I’ts funny that you’ve just finished this cadigan and I’m re-working mine! I think the 3/4 sleeves don’t work with the yarn I’ve chosen so I’m lengthening them. I had forgotten that the sleeves were knitted flat and it’s still a mystery to me why they chose not to have them in the round 🙂