B6178 Culotte Pattern

B6178

A couple of weeks ago, if you’d said to me, ‘Karen, I’d like you to swathe the lower half of your body in acres of pale fabric,’ I’d have told you to take a running jump.

A couple of events happened between then and now.

I set myself a challenge of sewing outside of my comfort zone. When the B6178 pattern was delivered along with the Love Sewing magazine, it seemed to answer that challenge. I can’t remember the last time I wore a pair of wide-legged trousers, or culottes. The fact that the design only uses four pattern pieces drew me in. How badly wrong could this go?

Then I spotted this bone-coloured twill linen at TMOS. Initially, I dismissed it. I don’t do pale colours. But it was the perfect weight for trousers… Sold!

B6178 pocket detail

Yes, this pattern has pockets.

Despite those meagre four pattern pieces, this make did not come without its challenges. Check out my Instagram feed for details. But other than that, I cut out true to my size and sallied forth. No fitting adjustments, though I’d recommend you check your fit as you progress.

If I was to make this pattern again – what do I mean IF! – I’d pare a bit of depth off the rise. These come up tall on my body, though I quite like the security of that. You know when you wear linen trousers and during the heat of the day they bag and bag and bag until you’re clutching the waistband around your hips? Thanks, but no thanks.

I left out the buttonhole on the waistband and inserted the invisible zip to close the waistband. We’ll see how that works out, though I’m pretty hopeful.

We all like a side view, don’t we?

B6178 side view

Oh, and how wide is wide?

B6178 Did You Make That

A shout out should go to the Sew Over It Pussy Bow Blouse it’s paired with, in neon chiffon from The Village Haberdashery. Don’t they make a great combination?

Pussy bow collar

In all likelihood, these culottes shall be most often worn with trainers and a T-shirt, on the beach or in Epping Forest, with tennis balls stuffed into the deep pockets. The linen creases as soon as you cast it the side eye, but I don’t mind that at all.

I’m thrilled with this make. It turns out that testing your comfort zone is a good idea. Just be careful around those invisible zips…

B6178 in linen

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to B6178 Culotte Pattern

1. I got this pattern with Love Sewing magazine too, but wasn’t sure. Now I’ve seen your version I’m definitely converted – they look gorgeous on you!

2. It’s beautiful! Fits and flatters, and how great to have an item that can be dressed both up and down. Sounds like a must for summer hols.

3. Caitlyn says:

You look so chic, and yet still comfortable. Kudos for sewing outside your comfort zone and landing a winner!

4. coutureellen says:

Love this set of clothes! Pale linen– you are so brave! and it looks great!

5. Helena says:

Love these Karen, when I got the pattern I put it to one side but have been strangely drawn to it over the past few weeks when my jeggings have got too warm. I like the view with the darts, so flattering. I fancy a pale green linen. Love how you have paired these with the pussy bow blouse, so stylish😊

6. Lori Abraham says:

Very smart looking!

7. I love this outfit! It is so classy. The culottes look amazing in that linen.

8. Elaine says:

Lovely outfit. The combination of colours looks wonderful on you.

9. These looks so great on you, love it with that blouse! And comfy as can be. Marie and I were chatting on Twitter the other day about culottes / palazzo pants, and while this would totally not be my thing normally either, I’m smitten and going to try to sew myself up a pair.

10. Sarah says:

I love them. The more I see culottes the more I like them. Yours look fab on you and I’m in love with the blouse.

11. Shauni S says:

Love them! They were definitely out of my comfort zone too when I made my first pair, but now 3 pairs in (and a jumpsuit hack) and they’re a wardrobe staple for me 🙂 Look forward to seeing your next pair(s)! x

12. Kathy Lynch says:

Ooooo, I love ’em! I think you should drag out good ol’ Simplicity 1366 & make that boxy/crop top to go with them too! Enjoy the Summer, Karen! 🙂

13. PocketC says:

Those look comfy and fabulous pockets!! I am wanting loose pants for the summer with good pockets, maybe I need to get over my fear of making trousers.

14. esewing says:

I feel the same about light colours ! But these are lovely , perfect for this weather , love the fit iand mpressed that was without alterations, enjoy these whether on the beach or more formally 🙂

15. Julia says:

I love the culottes like you I haven’t worn a pair for years but you have inspired me, love the blouse to.

16. Those are really lovely! The two garments go very well together.

17. I’ve got my eye on this pattern too and your culottes look really elegant. I love your outfit, the blouse goes so well with it.

18. Janet says:

They look so sophisticated with that blouse! Commiserations on the zip mishap – I think I’d have given them to my dog to shred if that’d happened to me…

19. I love culottes! These fit so well and they look very dressy! Nice work!

20. Caroline says:

Classy culottes teamed with a Pussy bow blouse – purrrfect! Culottes are nice and airy for the summer especially in rayon/viscose like my ones. Your culottes are fab!

21. OH, these turned out great Karen! The fit around the hips, derriere, waist area is really nice…smooth, not bulky in any way. The proportion of leg to trouser also looks just right. Sigh…I want to try this trend, but at 5’1″ I’m still just not sure.

22. Mary Dadds says:

You have a very good fit there.They look fantastic.

23. redsilvia says:

Very cute. I was skeptical of this trend too and then I see you and other photos that look great. the one that put me over the edge was this one:
    I mean, how could I not. Now to make a bit of time to sew!

P.s. I would totally rip that blouse off your body and steal it, it’s soooooo cute.

24. drdott says:

I am almost finished with view C. I’m not smitten yet, but going to give them a go.

25. Michele says:

I liked these so much that I went to buy the magazine this morning to cheer myself up, only to find that the marche hadn’t had it for 2 weeks, back in car in a panic to Tesco’s and found the last copy in the store. Phew! Now tracing off version D for now, like dress pattern too, bonus.

26. Stevie says:

I love, love, love this outfit Karen! that blouse goes perfectly with them. Its an unexpected but fabulous combination with that neon and grey shirt. I bought my first “Love Sewing” magazine for a train journey this week and was a bit disappointed with the patterns, you might just have convinced me to give them a go, perhaps a drapey black crepe?

27. La Vonda C says:

Those are BEAUTIFUL! They look so chic & laid back at the same time, love it.

28. These look FAB on you Karen! The proportions of them really suit you and I think the high rise is great. Lovely!

29. Samantha says:

I love these! You’ve definitely convinced me to make some!

30. Kristin says:

Can we please talk about the shoes? They really sold me on your culottes though I am far too short to pull this look off. We called them “gauchos” back when I was in Grade 3 in Canada. Same garment, much more elegant in your iteration. But the shoes, Karen. Splendid choice.