Liberty Of London Fabric Vlog

Phewee! It’s been unbelievably hot in London today, so I decided that if I was trapped in the house I’d teach myself a bit of Youtube. Seriously, laptop trumped sewing machine.

Here’s a video about my latest fabric shopping in the sale at Liberty Of London – with top tips. Enjoy! And definitely check out my Fabric Focus on Liberty Tana Lawn.

How are you staying cool? PLEASE DEAR GOD TELL ME HOW YOU ARE STAYING COOL.

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Liberty Of London Fabric Vlog

1. Elaine says:

Hi Karen. Its very nice to see and hear you on the video. I love Liberty fabric. Looking forward to seeing what you make with your new pieces. Been very warm here today. I’ve been sitting in the shade in my new Liberty Emery dress. I’ve made it a bit shorter than usual, just a couple of inches above the knee, sleeveless and with a V back neckline and a less full skirt. It’s the Joan Larke green print. Feels nice and airy now in the cool early evening breeze! Enjoy your evening.

2. Sewniptuck says:

I am totally with you on the ditsy prints, I use them for pockets and innings, which is a travesty surely! Those fabrics are 100% my taste, love the moody violet browns, sorry I have no pattern suggestions for you, but when the heat gets too much (hilarious, heat too much on London!), wet a towel and lie down with it over you – bliss. For a short, sharp cool down I often pretend to search for something st the back of the fridge – secretly cooling my face! Sounds like cocktail weather Karen!

3. Sarah may says:

So hot here in Surrey too but at least the hot flushes haven’t started as well! .I love Liberty, have the loyalty card yet only rarely buy fabric direct. I also have the ” sandy Ray” fabric but in blue,olive, white colourway. I have 3 plus metres and made a longer version of simplicity 2215 skirt out of it last year and wear it with vest tops and Tilly Agnes tops – it is also lined in white lawn and has emery dress pockets.. I wore my navy strawberry thief tana lawn shorts today but having sat in the car for hours they became a crumpled mess stuck to my legs. Lovely. I’m sure you will make something beautiful and I thoroughly enjoy your blog being of a similar age.

4. Katie M says:

I have to chuckle about your struggle with the heat. I live in Singapore, and it’s that hot EVERY day. You just learn to live with it after a while. Air conditioning helps when it’s particularly appalling.

5. Kate says:

Such lovely fabrics. I’m looking forward to seeing what you make with them.

Do you have a fan? Sit in front of the fan, drink lots of water, take the opportunity to wash and dry any large quilts. If that doesn’t help you can always go sit in a cinema.

6. Taja says:

Lovely fabrics, Karen! No specific pattern suggestions, just something that hangs from your shoulders with a hint of shaping. Think cool! The less touching your body, the better. lol

Current temperature at about 5 p.m. MST is 110 degrees Fahrenheit. I’ll let you convert–brain is disengaged until tomorrow morning. Air conditioning is working beautifully, though.

Forecast temperature for tomorrow is 117 degrees, with the potential for 120 degrees on Tuesday. Fingers crossed that we are well below that!

So goes June in the low Sonoran desert…

• Paloverde says:

I’m in the intermediate Sonoran desert and it was 107 F (41.66 C) in my neighborhood today. But we are lucky here despite the incredible heat: we have almost *no* relative humidity. Really. It’s down around 1% this time of year. Give us a few weeks and the summer storms (monsoons) will start and the humidity will go up, up, up. Humidity is the killer with heat and I’m sure the UK doesn’t have our dry heat. It must be miserable.

7. Mary in Thailand says:

Here in Thailand people shower as often as the opportunity presents itself, and if the heat wave is really excessive.. people head for the malls, en masse. Air conditioning/electricity is the biggest expense for the average citizen, right after rent. They also sell menthol shampoo, which is a gift from above! (imo)

8. Irene Stratton says:

Tana lawn is very hard wearing. Today my daughter (24) is wearing a Liberty print tana lawn dress to work which we refashioned from a dress worn by a friend about 30 years ago…… I have made a lot of patchwork quilts – often including Liberty Tana lawn recycled from charity shop dresses and shirts – they have lasted decades.
    Croft Mill have a few Tana Lawns.

9. Katie M says:

It sounds like you got some great bargains. If ever you are in North London, I can highly recommend Desai in Cricklewood Lane, West Hampstead. They sell previous seasons of Liberty fabrics at really fabulous prices.

10. nothy says:

Wash you’re hair, drink iced drinks and keep the drapes closed. Dark rooms are cooler.

11. megan says:

Oh poor you, my friend told me it was going to be hot in London where she is now living… Many years ago I visited Liberty in summer, my friend said go look at the buttons. It was so very hot and airless in there, I took one look at the lady behind the counter who was knitting with mohair and said to my partner, “I need to get out of here now!” I thought I was going to faint watching her knit in this sticky heat. I do not like the heat however I would say come to Australia. We are set up for the heat and it is now winter. The typical winter day is dry, summers tend to be more rainy, clear blue skies, low twenties or high teens for temperature and t-shirt weather still in the middle of the day. Sorry I cannot be more help, I do sympathise though.

12. PsychicSewerKathleen says:

Love your Liberty especially the last one with the clouds – gorgeous! I am always so envious when I read about a London sewist off to the Liberty shop! (I’m in Canada so my only option is to order online which I do!) My first purchase of Liberty lawn was such a surprise – it was so lovely I honestly thought it gave silk a run for it’s money (and I’m a BIG silk fan – now making myself a Dove out of a drapey black silk) I’m like you however that although I admire flowery prints on others, on me it just doesn’t fit my body or personality. I’m more of a plain colour sort of girl 🙂 Does Liberty make knits?

13. theyorkshirestitcher says:

Would you wash the silk at 40deg as well? Those are gorgeous fabrics.

14. Karen Dodgson says:

I’m staying cool drinking sloe gin in the garden….obviously not a long term solution but it does help!!
    Mount Stuart House is an amazing place, you have to go! It’s on the Isle of Bute. We’ve stayed in Rothesay a few times, a quaint little seaside town, and caught the ferry there from Glasgow. If you do go, look up at the ceilings in the house….one is painted with stars and is just jaw droppingly gorgeous.

15. LinB says:

Things to help you survive a heat wave: Ice cubes in your bra cups (women only). Drink quarts and quarts (well, litres and litres) of cold-but-not-iced water, laced with lemon juice. Sit under or beside an electric fan as you sweat. Position yourself to take advantage of any breeze going. Wear loose cotton or linen clothing. Go barefooted whenever possible. Pace yourself, and allow yourself to laze about. Nap during the hottest part of the day. Stay in the shade when outside. Stay inside in cooled air as much as you can — it was the advent of readily available air conditioning that allowed a population boom in the U.S. South beginning in the last half of the 20th century. Before then, it was just too damnably hot to live there in the summertime if you didn’t have to.

16. francescapia says:

Linen sheets. Linen clothes. fans and aircon… drink lots of water and have lots of coolish showers. If you have shutters, keep them closed during the day. That’s how I survive our long hot summers in Malta.

I love tana and use it loads. Lasts forever. But when it’s really bad I don’t wear it. Just linen. Oh and the best knickers for the heat are me made out of tana or soft muslin😆.

17. I’d been tipped off about the Liberty fabric sale and ordered 2 x2 metre lengths for lovely scrummy dress making projects in the future, my parcel arrived on Friday and as expected the fabric was beautifully packaged in Liberty tissue secured with a liberty print and also inside was one of the iconic Liberty stiff paper carrier bags…………….. 😵😵😵 I’m not sure which I was most excited about!

18. Emma Gibney says:

Good tips on getting Liberty bargains. I think having a look at Cos would help with the silk and cotton dress as it’s something they often do. The Named Helmi tunic dress might be a nice option. I made it in sand washed Liberty silk (Wellcome from Ray Stitch, advised to prewash at 30*) and it’s my go to dress for every occasion I do put a belt on it which isn’t so Cos or Named looking. I agree with the pretty Liberty prints, they’re often too pretty for clothes.

19. Pingback: She Walks In Beauty Like The Night Of Cloudless Climes | Did You Make That?