She Walks In Beauty Like The Night Of Cloudless Climes

closet case patterns charlie caftan liberty tana lawn

I expect at some point I shall get bored. Of making Charlie Caftans. Or maybe not. Two more future makes already light up my imagination. The question is: at what point do you reach maximum caftan on a sewing blog? Hey, I’m willing to take one for the team and see where breaking point lies. When readers scream, ‘For the love of all that is sacred, make something else, Karen!’

But not quite yet.

charlie caftan liberty tana lawn

I adore how demure this third iteration is, using some of the Liberty of London tana lawn that I vlogged about here. (There’s still some of this fabric in the sale.)

The detail of the print is exquisite, inspired by Mount Stuart in the West of Scotland.

liberty of london tana lawn

charlie caftan bodice detail

For those of you concerned that kimono sleeves run the danger of revealing your underwear, I highly recommend these slips. They’re great too, for when you want to wear a dress like this with tights or leggings.

Indeed, this dress is the perfect transitional piece for when autumn comes. I can easily see it twinned with a cardie, wool tights and boots.

Oh! I used the wrong pattern piece for the front bodice panel – the shorter version that’s meant to go with view A (I always sew view B). I don’t think this mistake has made one iota of difference.

There we are. Another lovely dress. What are you sewing today?

charlie caftan walthamstow village

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to She Walks In Beauty Like The Night Of Cloudless Climes

1. Anne says:

I love this fabric! I never thought it to be a Charlie, but it suits you perfect.
    I’m totally into Charlie as well, but it’s not nursing material… So I ‘m on a Southport dress binge 😊.

• didyoumakethat says:

You know, I think the Deep V Tunic from Rosie Martin’s DIY Couture book would make a perfect nursing top! I think it every time I wear it and I’ve never had children!!

2. Cherry says:

Is that one if your non floral Liberty lawns? It looks a bit like an Icelandic inspired design from a few years back? Jury’s out for me on the caftan. I really like yours, especially this one, and others I’ve seen on the Web but the cut I think will draw attention to my boobs. I’ve yet to see one on an F cup. So not bored yet.

• Cherry says:

Ha ha – I missed where you said which print it was – the perils of reading on a tablet and not (as now) on proper size screen. Other colours now in the sale.

3. Robin says:

What an unusual and beautiful fabric. Is that from your usual market source?

4. This is gorgeous! I don’t think I’ll ever be bored of seeing all your caftans, they are each so wonderful and different!

5. Elaine says:

Karen that’s beautiful. The same pattern can look so different in a different fabric. I’ve been known to make ten of a favourite pattern. If it works it works! Currently sewing a short trench for autumn in beige gaberchino. Your liberty print is stunning.

6. Lesley says:

Karen, I am a huge, huge fan of those slips. I have them in black and nude in every length. I can’t recommend them highly enough.

7. Jo says:

Well I’m not bored yet. It looks fab. I read the tutorial for the front piece insert and thought Nah! not for me, too much like hard work!. Jo x

8. Deborah says:

It’s very cute, and I say make as many as you want. The dog is cute, too!

9. Irene says:

This dress is so lovely on you. The beauty of sewing is that you get a totally different dress with every fabric (even though the pattern is exactly the same!).

10. Felecia Nero says:

This is LOVELY! Is there a pattern?

• didyoumakethat says:

Good point – I haven’t linked to the pattern and shall amend! It’s the Charlie Caftan from Closet Case Patterns.

11. Lynn Barnes says:

Am sewing hundreds of glass beads scattered about on a lace jacket to go with a wedding dress.

Would much rather be stitching up something comfy for me, like your cloudy dream of a caftan.

Next up? Snaps for the forearm cuffs of the lace jacket — am NOT going to make thirty working buttonholes in lace for the thirty ball buttons that will climb up the outside of those cuffs. Life is too short to wish that kind of tribulation on oneself.

12. Sarah says:

Gorgeous, I love it! And I also have that slip, very useful under ones dresses.

13. Alison G says:

I’m just about to make my first version and wonder what size you made and did you add to the length? I’m worried it might come up a bit big although I know it’s a loose fit. Thanks for any help and advice! I’m ordering the same luscious fabric as you but in the rust colour way.

• didyoumakethat says:

I cut the size according to my bust measurements, which was a size 12 – smaller than my waist and hips but figured that the roomy nature of the dress could accommodate going one size down around those areas.

14. Sue says:

Oh I am not bored at all – can’t wait for more. Winter here is Australia (minus 7 this morning) so I will out my Charlie Caftan on hold a bit longer.