What Should I Sew This Weekend?

Ogden Cami True Bias Did You Make That

This! The Ogden Cami from True Bias. I tell ya, I’m in love and it layers up like a dream.

Ogden Cami Did You Make That

Twinned with my Miriam cardigan from Quince & Co

What do I like about this pattern?

• It’s a 13-page PDF download, which means you can tape it together in ten minutes flat.
  • It uses less than a metre of fabric – great for stash busting.
  • The drafting includes a beautiful, soft V at front and back that works brilliantly because of a partial lining.
  • It doesn’t gape and reveal my breasts when I bend over.
  • The straps don’t slip off my shoulders and reveal my breasts when I’m sat opposite someone at dinner.

You know what I appreciate from a pattern? That it doesn’t reveal my breasts! It’s not that I don’t like my breasts, but there’s a time and place, people. I have experienced some heinous sewing patterns that feature spaghetti straps and let’s not even go there when it comes to wardrobe malfunctions. Can’t even wear the tops as sleepwear without waking up and thinking, Hey, there go my breasts! All revealed again! My cute top became a belt in the night.

Have I used the word breasts enough yet?

BREASTS!

Moving on.

ogden cami partial lining

Here’s a view of that partial lining. It makes for such a neat neckline finish.

The pattern recommends that you sew a ribbon to the back section so that you remember which is the back and which is the front. (There are no bust darts.)

I concur.

You always think, Look. I’m not an idiot. I’ll remember which is the front and which is the back, I passed my exams back in the day. Then you hold the finished item up and swirl it around as a frown creases your brow. Which is the front? Which is the back? Why didn’t I sew a ribbon in to remind me? What kind of fool doesn’t do that?

So, go ahead. Knock yourself out. Sew in a ribbon. You’re welcome.

ribbon

We should definitely pause to admire the Nightshade Perfume voile from Sew Over It.

This. Fabric. Is. Divine. The perfect amount of drape for Ogden.

Sew Over It Nightshade Perfume Voile

The V back allows you to feel cool breezes against your neck as you enjoy these long summer evenings – sipping cocktails on a balcony or screeching, ‘Where’s your ball, Ella?’ in the local park.

Hopefully, your life is the former.

Oden Cami Rear View

I do admire a pattern that can be this minimal, yet still allow you to wear a bra. You might want to make sure it’s a pretty or presentable bra, just in case of the odd peek.

Okay, now you know what to sew this weekend. You could even sew two of these in a weekend. I’m already eyeballing my stash of silk…

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to What Should I Sew This Weekend?

1. Penny Dolan says:

Thanks.This pattern looks as if – with some extra length – it might work for the kind of nightdress I’ve been looking for in all the shops but been totally unable to find.

2. stitchedupsam says:

This is lovely, I’m generally not a fan of camisoles myself but you might have sold this one to me.

3. Red W Sews says:

Just made me laugh out loud! But I recently made this pattern myself for the first time and was similarly impressed with the lack of potential for breast baring combined with effective stash busting; there will be more of these!

4. Claire Castle says:

Love your version of Ogden cami -sits beautifully. I also thought it would make a great nightie .

5. Lynn Barnes says:

You are a stitch.

Just got finished giving advice to a new mother that she needed to consider tops and dresses that would give her instant — and near-constant — access to her breasts, for nursing. Shall I run to edit my response that this pattern will not work for that purpose, lol?

• Mamfach says:

I always found a cami you can pull up for feeding much more convenient than something you unbutton or pull down. They don’t crease as something shoved down with a hot baby on top would and are pretty and discrete. Cardi or shirt with a cami or vest top underneath was the best combination. Still easy to unclip your nursing bra from the top with minimum fuss.

• Lynn Barnes says:

Agreed! In public, I’d shove that baby up underneath my sweater or loose blouse, and she’d suckle away. Nosy Parkers who’d wander over to act as self-appointed Nursing Police could not see anything at all untoward.

At home, of course, anything goes and no one cares who sees what is under your blouse. And once the hungry child is old enough to undo your garments by themselves, you have to start carrying large scarves or shawls with you everywhere, to fling on in a hurry.

6. Elise says:

I can confirm that, as a member of the itty bitty titty committee, it also does not bare *my* breasts 😂, so this glorious pattern works for all sizes!

7. I guffawed at the comment about you particularly liking that it didn’t show your breasts because I was kind of hoping/anticipating that was how that sentence was going to end! Brilliant! What a great print and pattern combo and there’s something about this outfit that I really love on you!

8. This top is brilliant. I love the fabric so much, it is stunning. Good point about boob flashing. I have a lot of tops that I can’t wear in the office as sitting down gives anyone coming up behind me an eyeful. How fab that it only uses a metre of fabric. Xx

9. mumokio says:

Love it ! I want to make one now just to do the ‘breast test’ !

10. Chris Griffin says:

Love it!! I bought this two weeks ago and I’m thinking of using it as shells for under cardigans and blazers at work. I’m constantly too hot, but I’d prefer not flash boob and bra constantly…
    This is lovely on you. 🙂

11. Megan says:

Oh Karen that looks fantastic. I love the fabric and it goes so nicely with the beautiful cardigan. You do look lovely! I think you are lucky to probably be in the former and latter category… and I laughed when you wrote, “Where’s your ball, Ella?” typical, she didn’t lose it just found something else more pressing to think about! I love the fabric and think I might have to buy this pattern. Enjoy summer.

• didyoumakethat says:

Ha, yes, Ella is a butterfly brain when she’s out in the park! The good thing, is she now understands what ‘Where’s your ball?’ means and goes looking.

12. Yvonne says:

I believe I’m sold on this pattern now! (No worries here, as I’ve the “furniture disease”, you know, the one where my chest is in my drawers!) I’ve a shameful stash, so surely something up there should work. Thanks for sharing a beautiful garment and a happy post!

13. Janine Allen says:

Did you widen the straps? They look awful sknny on the pattern.

14. Sandra Jones says:

Hi, my uncle was a tailor and other family members can and do sew very well. Did not pay much attention in high school but now I have been bless to be with one the best mentors who is taking her skills and investing them in me. I’ll say she just taught me how the do a short vest like top which came out beautiful. I had to cut and sew it myself. I love the top you have made and plan to get it and make it. Very simple and easy for a beginner to make. Continue to show all that is possible for me to do. Thank you.

15. Sheryll says:

That is gorgeous fabric and really suits you. I’ve seen lots of lovely Ogden camis sewn up, and yours is no exception!

16. It is a great pattern and with an alternative fabric for lining can be squeezed out of even less fabric! Worth remembering! Now I just need to work out how to make it suitable for feeding a bebe!

17. Noddfacrafts says:

Great project. I’m just in the middle of knitting the cardigan from Quince!

18. craftycreeky says:

Ok, you’ve just sold it to me, just ordered the pattern and I’ve got a few lengths in my stash that will be perfect, thank you 🙂

19. SaSa says:

Yes, you convinced me to sew this pattern, too! I have always loved the beautiful neckline which is so pretty. And it seems that the deep back is just hiding the bra. You have used very lovely fabric. 😊

20. Wis says:

Love your post! As it is I am sewing one now! Just needs hemming!

21. Sarah says:

This is fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing! It is great to have a came-style top with which a can wear a bra. I’m way beyond braless! 😬😊

22. Connie Turner says:

I don’t like my breasts to show either, no cleavage, no gaping please. I am a triple D so they are as obvious as they can be and I have yet to learn a FBA. I don’t want straps to show and don’t want to wear a strapless bra (so uncomfortable). You must be wearing a strapless here and you look great that top is so pretty, the material is pretty.

23. That top is gorgeous! I love reading your posts, they always make me smile.

24. Deborah Lockley says:

Been trying to bring up the Ogden cami site but nothing happens. Would like to get it so I can try to make a cami that actually fits.

25. patricia says:

I don’t even sew and I love your blog. I read everything you post and you crack me up. Also, I may as well say, I don’t understand the current trend of extremely low cut, inappropriate-breast-showing-to-the-whole-world clothes….what’s up with that? I love your modesty. And besides, you look beautiful!

26. Sheree says:

I thought my days of wearing a strappy top were well and truly over, but decided to give it a go last month. I have to say that it is a really great pattern. For me, the best part is the back. Such a lovely shape to it.

27. Yes, the breasts! I love my girls too but I don’t want tops dipping between the peaks and outlining them individually. It looks as if the partial lining prevents this phenomenon? Excellent article, of clothing and writing!

28. Mary in Thailand says:

You are a fine salesperson!
    Hitting that sweet spot, drafting wise…..thanks for sharing.

29. Jo says:

I am with you on the whole bra thing. At 44 and two breastfed girls to my name I just can not wear a cami and not wear a bra. I love your drapey version. Downloading now…. Jo x

30. Meg Kundert says:

I’m sold! I could see lengthening the lining so it peeks out the bottom for a double layer effect. Is the cami cut on the bias or the grain?

31. Suzanne says:

This is lovely! I wouldn’t have dreamed of using that type of print for a cami top but it REALLY works!

32. Helen W says:

Thank you! I’ve been searching for a pattern to use for a gorgeous metre of leftover floral liberty-esque fabric. This look perfect. Love the fact the straps shouldn’t fall down.

33. Stevie says:

Its so good in that fabric Karen! I think i’m on my fourth Ogden with no signs of letting up!

34. I finished my third yesterday 😺 Thanks for the ‘no flashing’ info that led me to downloading this lovely top