1932 design from Madeleine Vionnet: “When a woman smiles, her dress should smile too.”
Wanna help me with some vintage fashion research? Go!
- You’re a young British woman in the late 1930s/early 1940s.
- At a party.
- Wearing a lovely dress.
- You’re from the type of family who would have sent their daughters to finishing school.
- But war has broken out.
- There ain’t no finishing school for you.
- You’re joining the WRENS.
- This is your last hurrah.
Question: WHAT WOULD YOU WEAR TO THE PARTY?
Prints or solid fabrics? Floor length gown or something more in keeping with Make Do And Mend? Sewn by yourself, a local dressmaker or a couturier? Paris or London? Style of dress?
Let’s get specific. Let’s say it’s 1940.
What would be your dream party dress? What were you even allowed to wear?
I’d love any help you can give! Thank you SO much.