Moving On

charlie caftan fabric godmother lawn

Oof. One of those days where the moment you step out of the front door your hair goes to hell. Damn you, humidity!

I’ve finally worked this dress out of my system. I think. This is my fifth Charlie Caftan, but I wanted you to see the gorgeous Chaffinch Bough lawn cotton bought from Fabric Godmother at The Handmade Fair. The fabric is beautiful, isn’t it?

It also has acute puncture memory from pins and needles (ie the puncture holes don’t disappear when pins are removed). Don’t leave pins in overnight and if you need to do any unpicking, crack on straight away.

Now, I’m ready to move on!

pleat detail dress makers atelier

My favourite stand at The Great British Sewing Bee Live was The Maker’s Atelier, and I came away with these patterns. My next project shall be The Pleat Detail Dress in some beautiful linen I recently bought at Goldhawk Road. It’s a deep burgundy that almost looks black.

burgundy linen

The Maker’s Atelier also has a book, which I’ve been meaning to review for months. Maybe, now is the time!

the makers atelier book

makers atelier cigarette pants

Have you sewn any patterns from The Maker’s Atelier? What’s next on your sewing table?

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Moving On

1. Lisa says:

I love the patterns from the Makers Atelier and have made the pencil skirt and pleat front dress. I have the book and want to make the wrap skirt from it first. They are elegant and timeless styles which look great. I love the way Frances gives you other options to use the patterns on her website. I look forward to seeing what you make.

2. Jenny Lesetr says:

I saw the clothes and book from Makers Atelier at the Harrogate Show last year – how fabulous that all their patterns were made up and you could try on!! So when I was given a cash collection (for organising a coach trip to Yarndale in Skipton last Saturday) I decided to treat myself and the book was on the Cool Crafting stall. I had no hesitation to hand over the money and have been planning a wardrobe made from my large stash of fabrics!
    Well I need to use some up as I am bringing my Cheshire sewing Ladies to Walthamstow in November to TMOS!!!

3. I bought that book recently as well, as well as the Burda Wardrobe Essentials book. Love them both. I’d love to see what other people have made from it.

4. Anna says:

I have been eyeing up the raw edge unlined coat from the Makers Atelier for ever, maybe this winter I will make it up. In the meantime I am making my second Grainline Studio Archer shirt from my birthday cotton lawn also bought on the Goldhawk Rd which is now my annual treat.

• Colleen says:

I made the raw edged coat up in a mustard boiled wool and it’s an easy make, perfect for Autumn. The sizing is generous – you might want to toile. I’m planning on making the roll collar coat a size down from my normal size. I tried on their sample in a Melton and it looked surprisingly elegant on me!

5. I love the Essential Collection book. So far I have only made the Wrap Skirt but I have fabric for the Tie-neck Blouse in my queue 😺 The skirt is on my blog if you want a look x

6. Natasha says:

Thank you for introducing me to The Maker’s Atelier. Those pattern’s are gorgeous!

7. Elaine says:

Hi Karen, another lovely dress in a beautiful fabric. You certainly have the skill of choosing the right fabric for the pattern. As a fairly new dressmaker I find that difficult to do and have made some choices that I’ve regretted in terms of the fabric not having the right properties for the finished garment. I’ve made blouses that are too stiff, a jersey dress that was too clingy etc. I wonder if this is just something you have to learn by experience. Looking forward to seeing your linen dress.

8. Jo says:

I have been wanting to try the Makers Atelier patterns for such a long time, but I have to admit the price of them puts me off – mainly because I want almost all of them and can’t narrow it down to one or two! The pleat front dress is a great design and I bet it’ll suit you perfectly 🙂

9. You English sewist live in heaven! Fairs, fabric shops galore, pattern companies everywhere, a whole blooming community! Humidity is the price you’ve got to pay, hehehe!!!

10. I keep returning to The Maker’s Atelier but I haven’t bought it yet – I’ve not tried any of her patterns either so I’m looking forward to seeing your makes using her patterns and reading your book review as well!

11. I love Francis’s patterns and have made lots of them. The roll collar coat is fabulous, the big easy top is my go to sweatshirt pattern, recently made a rain coat from the utility coat pattern and the pencil skirt pattern is fab – made some cute scuba skirts. I love them as they are brilliant to sew, quick and perfectly elegant.

12. Nina says:

Oh I was equally taken by the Maker’s Atelier at the Sewing Bee Live and very nearly bought the book. But having already spent more than I’d intended on fabric (oops) I decided it would go on my Christmas list. Can’t wait to see what you make.

13. Juliana says:

Beaaautiful fifth Charlie. Oh pretty please, do review that book! I’ve been eyeing it…

14. Sarah says:

The caftan is stunning! I love the fabric.

I have long salivated over The Maker’s Atelier patterns and aesthetic. I’d love to read your review of their book.

15. Julie Terry says:

Hi Karen, I made a Pleat Front dress in the Ikat grids fabric that you used for the first Charlie caftan. I would be interested to know what you thought of the ‘sleeve’ finishing as I found it a bit odd. Love the burgundy linen, just what I want for a Camber dress from Merchant and Mills.
    Just back from 5 days watching the boats at Seaview. Heaven!!

16. Naomi says:

We have just started stocking jersey and some gorgeous dressmaking fabric so it’s all new to us…. love the dress in the top pic!

17. Jo says:

Do you know, I have some brown linen sailor trousers cut!!! Honestly. That fabric is beautiful. Jo x

18. Jen says:

I recently made the flip-collar shirt dress of Makers Atelier. I usually like a sack dress, but found this one a really unflattering, matronesque shape. I think it might be suited to more petite ladies.

I’m looking forward to making the front pleat dress though, it looks like it might be a bit kinder.

19. Colleen says:

The fabric is beautiful and in my favorite substrate. I’ve been collecting lawns for years and need to get moving on actually using them! I do like this book but between the currency exchange and the shipping, I just can’t make myself buy any of them. I did buy the book but haven’t used any of the patterns even though I really want to. I find that if I buy books — and I’ve recently bought three — I tend to forget about them on my shelf and end up going to my stash or buying another. I think it might be that my sewing room is so incredibly disorganized. MUST. CHANGE. THAT. SOON.

I like seeing you in florals!