Let’s Play Spot The Mistake

Shawl Error

Who can tell me what’s wrong with this shawl?

Look closer…

error shawl ii

And closer…

error shawl iii

I don’t think the straight edge of a shawl is meant to suddenly curve round. The problem lies in the row where those neat little parallelograms suddenly split in half and change direction. Darn. I must have duplicated a row and started knitting back to front.

RIP!

This entry was posted in knitting, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Let’s Play Spot The Mistake

1. Jeanette says:

What a shame! It’s no fun having to rip out a lot of work. It’s happened to me. Best of luck getting it corrected and caught up to where you were.

2. Margaret says:

As a non knitter, I do not SEE a problem. When shawl is in use, wrapped around a body, will this be noticible?

3. LinB says:

There’s a reason that RIP stands for “requiescat in pacem,” alas.

4. Candie says:

That deserves a much harder curse word! Sorry you have to do that. Good luck 🍀

5. Beth Duffus says:

If it’s any comfort, I am on my third go to get a knitted bobble hat correct. It’s my own pattern and it’s been far too big (think paper bag over the head) twice, so I have been ripping too. There’s a clear difference between the happy mistake, the unnoticeable errors and the botched job. Looks like it will be lovely though.

6. redsilvia says:

MY theory is that when you get to a stage of knitting where you can rip out the mistakes rather than just live with them, you have reached a more advanced stage of creating. I had an art teacher who wanted us to realize not to regard each work as too “precious” and had us rip up a sketch we’d just worked. It was a great lesson, hard, but great. Rip it!

7. I think you are cleaver to have knitted such a complicat d pattern to start with & it’s interesting to see what happens when you change direction, lots of possibilities there.

8. Oh no! At least you discovered the problem fairly quickly and not another six inches or so further on.

I was just casting off a shawl the other day (although the dimensions were underwhelming; my first clue) and thought, ‘That needle looks a bit small.’ I must have borrowed the right needle for another project and forgot about it, then finished knitting the shawl on the smaller circular I’d used as a stitch holder. I ripped the whole thing out, and I’ve got the wool sitting on my desk waiting to be cast on again. Which I will. When I’ve recovered!

9. What a shame. It is so annoying having to rip things out. I hope that you managed to find you way back into the pattern. These things can be quite off putting. It looks a very complicated design. Xx

10. Jen Mabey says:

Would you please tell me about this pattern? I love the look of it, and would swear that it was on Ravelry, but I didn’t make a note and can’t find it on the website. Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I adore readying your blog and I’ve followed it for years. Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us. It’s very inspirational and yet real at the same time.