Winter Dressing Made Easy – Sew It!

Sew Over It Shift Dress

It’s cold, it’s grey, I don’t want to leave the house and when I need to look smart, I want my outfit made easy. If this rings true for you, sew the Sew Over It Ultimate Shift Dress.

• It has sleeves – leave the cardie at home
  • The outfit pairs well with tights
  • You can dress it up with heels or down with sneakers
  • The jewel neckline keeps you warm
  • Because of the dress’s simplicity, it layers well
  • It packs small for weekends away

This has become my go-to dress for work trips abroad. (Here’s my faux leather versionΒ  and another crepe version here.) Sewn in the right fabric, you can shake the dress out of your carry on case – no iron required. Throw on a piece of statement jewellery, and you’re good to go.

how to accessorise a sewing project

Isn’t the crepe fabric great? I’ve seen it at a few online stores, but it’s a while since I bought this and recent web searches have proved fruitless. Let me know if you still see this somewhere!

The fabric has been in my stash for a while and I’m so glad to finally put this beautiful print to good use. If I had to make a New Year’s Resolution, it would be to work through more of my fabric stash.

crepe fabric

This dress is a really quick make with nary a fitting issue. The only time I slowed down was to hand stitch the sleeve hems to give them a nice, invisible seam finish. But the beauty of a print like this is that everything seems to melt out of view, mistakes and all. Good times!

sleeve hem detail sewing project

I really recommend The Sew Over It Ultimate Shift Dress for a winter sewing fix! Hmmm. I guess this means I should leave the house now.

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Winter Dressing Made Easy – Sew It!

1. Donnalee says:

That looks great with the simple tights and necklace. As an aside, I know that someone online is having a do-not-buy-and-use-up-stash for 2018, and I am unsure how many folks are trying to do so–

• Sue Davis says:

Lovely versatile dress with added bonus of quick to make! Yes my intention for 2018 is to use up stash, but if honest, don’t think I will stick to it as just so many gorgeous fabrics out there. Sometimes you just have to have it! This pattern will be great to start with this New Year.

2. peggy says:

Adore the fabric also! I too would like to know if it is still available,!! peggy

3. Su says:

Fab fabric – well spotted!

4. I love it, especially with that necklace!

5. Sarah says:

It looks gorgeous, I love that fabric. Major fabric envy!

6. Sue Givens says:

Looks great! I love that necklace. Any hints on where you acquired it?

7. You look wonderful! I too love the dress and fabric
    You have excellent taste! 😊

8. Jo says:

I like that dark ombre in the centre it looks great on. I want a few of these I think. I would love a ponte Roma one – cozy. Jo x

9. Caroline Joynson says:

Gorgeous pattern and print pairing here Karen.
    You look stunning and yes, you should definitely go outside with that fab outfit on!

10. Allison says:

It looks fabulous in all of it’s incarnations!!! I think I will have to try it!

11. Irene says:

Such a lovely dress! This looks to be a go-to pattern for you. What’s better than a beautiful dress that’s comfy to wear?

12. Wow I love this on you

13. I saw this fabric on sale in the Oxford Street John Lewis earlier this week. They also had some very nice triple crepes in solid colours (some of which may have come home with me).

14. What a gorgeous dress and the fabric is lovely. Such nice colours and print. It looks really smart. I am trying to work through my fabric (and wool) stash too. Doesn’t stop you buying more but at least you feel better about it. πŸ™‚ Xx

15. Lovely dress, gorgeous fabric, fabulous necklace. Great outfit!

16. ooobop says:

Looks fabulous on you, Karen. Love a failsafe go-to for instant all-base covering gratification! x

17. elmhirst2014 says:

I have had difficulty with the upper arm fit of this dress. Mine LOOKS lovely but is not functional due to the tightness off the armscye. How was your fit in terms of function? It looks really lovely!

18. Lovely dress Karen! Every time you post one of these I think I should try the pattern but I drafted something so similar in my pattern cutting class I think my teacher would roll her eyes at me if I did!

19. Irene says:

My daughter wanted an Ultimate Shift Dress – she’s a size 12. We made it in Swedish Tracing Paper and then decided to make the 14 – but the sleeves are too tight and she can’t raise her arms far in it. Such a shame as it’s a great pattern.

20. Pingback: How To Sew For Business Travel - Did You Make That?Did You Make That?