The Maker’s Atelier Stretch Pencil Skirt

The Makers Atelier Pencil Skirt

Did you know that TMOS has started giving me style advice? When I bought a metre of this odd futuristic jersey, he asked what I planned to make. Honestly, I had no idea. ‘A pencil skirt,’ he suggested – and a plan snapped into focus!

makers atelier stretch pencil skirt

Thankfully, I already had a pattern to hand in The Maker’s Atelier Essential Collection. It took all of ten minutes to trace my size, I had enough elastic for the waist and a stretch lining fabric.

Yes, I had everything I needed. And by the time I went to bed that evening, I had a new skirt.

makers atelier

LOVE this pattern! I’d been a little doubtful about a pencil skirt with an elasticated waist, but it totally works. The gathering at the waist is subtle and the skirt can be as figure-hugging or easy-fitting as suits your personal taste. I’d suggest each make deserves its own basting and trying on, as fit shall surely be dictated by the stretch of different jerseys.

I also really like how the hem grazes the knee – sophisticated.

One adjustment I made was to peg the skirt, tapering in a little towards the hem. Just to prevent things looking too boxy.

The fabric is black, but with a slight copper sheen to it. Don’t you love the split hem detail on the Boxy T-Shirt? I’ve been wearing this top non stop (the Non Stop Top!) in our current Baltic weather.

makers atelier skirt detail copy

I shall likely make many more of these skirts and I am currently working on a silk top to pair with this one. More soon!

My entire outfit is handmade – yippee! – other than the trainers. They’re from Air and Grace and they’re worth every penny.

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The Maker’s Atelier Stretch Pencil Skirt

1. Stephanie says:

Makes sense that TMOS gives you style advice. He will have a particular eye having sold fabric for years plus have a sense of you, from all the fabric you have bought and what he sees you wearing. He totally nailed the pencil skirt idea anyway, or was that you with the impeccable execution?

2. Love that idea, looks great!

3. Jackie Forrest says:

LOVE the skirt !! and the mural of the delightful Frida – where is it please, I’d love to go and see it !!

4. Allison Graden says:

Love!! Looks great! The metallic sheen really makes a difference.

5. Kathy Lynch says:

Good ol’ TMOS – what a star! The whole outfit looks great!

6. Beth Duffus says:

Splendid photo with the street art. Knit skirt on my list. Can’t walk in a weave without mincing in baby steps, which doesn’t work for a busy day. At first glance the book seems expensive but I see it’s got 31 patterns so just over a pound per garment. Have you used many? Dibs to the split-hem T and the sneakers.

• Sheree says:

Hi Beth,
      The book has eight patterns. Two skirts,a blouse, trousers, t shirt, top, coat, and a bag, I think the 31 figure given in the book description is for the variations they show you can create with each one.

7. Your skirt is gorgeous! I love the whole outfit.

8. Karen Minet says:

Karen that skirt and top is REALLY nice on you. I love easy, simple classics that work. They deserve to be sewn in every color. Karen from California

9. Jo says:

That is one super cool city outfit. Jo x

10. Caroline Joynson says:

The whole outfit is fab!

11. Eleyna says:

I can’t stop staring at the jersey! I love it! I feel like I’d need to see it in person to really understand it.

12. I have several knit skirts from the Style Arc Ursula pattern- I love the subtle shaping and the contrast band options at the sides, which give it some oomph…

13. Pingback: The Maker's Atelier Boxy T-Shirt In Silk - Did You Make That?Did You Make That?

14. Pingback: The Maker’s Atelier Stretch Pencil Skirt – Did You Make That?Did You Make That? – Ellustar Fashion