Can Giants Wear Giant Gingham?

sewing with gingham fabric

I am nothing if not derivative. This entire outfit was inspired by The Foldline’s Sew The Summer Trends vlog that featured a place holder image of a giant gingham outfit. I mean, the gingham was giant. Not the outfit. Only a giant could wear a giant gingham outfit. But a normal person could wear an outfit sewn from giant gingham…

Oh, you know what I mean!

I put a call out on Instagram for good sources of cotton giant gingham and came up trumps thanks to Thimble And Notch. Buy their gingham here! Be warned – last time it quickly went out of stock. You NEED this fabric in your life. It’s stunningly perfect.

The culottes are my fourth pair of B6178. Yup, I like this pattern. The top is an Ogden Cami from True Bias. The entire outfit was pulled together from 2.5 metres of fabric.

What I love about the Ogden Cami is that for such a minimalist blouse it remains discreet and the spaghetti straps don’t constantly slip off your shoulders. Any top like this that I can still wear with a well-supporting bra gets my vote!

There’s a partial lining and I made mine from oh-so-breathable muslin. I’m determined to be comfortable this summer.

ogden cami lining

This top is perfect for practising French seams

When it comes to pattern matching giant gingham, I’d say do what you can. Pay attention to the obvious details but don’t stress if you can’t get everything lined up. You shan’t succeed and life is too darn short. Obviously, great fun to be had with bias cut gingham.

close up ogden cami

I love how this outfit layers with one of my favourite vintage cardigans…

Ogden Bias Cami

I end this blog post feeling flummoxed. Today I witnessed both the very magnifcient and the very poor of human nature. The Irish have repealed the 8th; I found myself ghosted by a man.

There’s only one thing to be done in these situations. Walk the dog. And keep the faith that things can only get better for women. They can TRULY only get better and I am so proud of the people of Ireland today.

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Can Giants Wear Giant Gingham?

1. So tempted by the Ogden cami, which I see everywhere. It’s on the list for sure. And like you, am very moved by the news from Ireland today.

2. That Ogden is such a perfect pattern and seeing it on you in this amazing gingham shows off it’s lines to the max in such a show stopping way! Love it πŸ™‚

3. JenL says:

The giant gingham cami is really nice. The news from Ireland gives me hope too.

4. Stellar outfit! And I too am very happy about the referendum results in Ireland.

5. Fabrickated says:

It’s a super outfit Karen and really suits you. You did a great job with placing the enormous squares or triangles in just the right spot. And hurray for the Irish!!

6. Karen too says:

Walking the dog is definitely the answer to other people’s bad habits! That and sewing…

7. SANDRA COX says:

Someone ghosted you? Whatever, you’re awesome. His loss.

8. Oo, love this outfit! Great together, and as separates too. Horrible about the ghosting, I’ve experienced it and it’s just horrible but brilliant news from Ireland, well done to them.

9. Silvia says:

I love the outfit, the dog and the repeal. The dude, well at least he showed you who he was early (I hope) on. Now you need to believe him and keep moving forward. Plus wine was BOGO at the Safeway today so I’m sharing with you in spirit. Be well.

10. Elle says:

Is there anything more cowardly than ghosting? Ugh! Yes, walk the dog, keep the faith and revel in any and all good news. And sew!

11. ooobop says:

What a striking designer outfit you made yourself there. I love it so much. And I really want some of that giant gingham even more now! Yay for the women of Ireland! Boo to that cowardly loser man. x

12. Megan says:

Love it. Bold choice but it works. Love the bias on the top, yay for straps that don’t slide off. Love that cardy! Congratulations for Ireland, it’s a complex issue I think it is a step in the right direction. Isn’t walking a dog marvellous, and yours is so cute, sometime we don’t get far, stopping to meet and greet more people than dogs, they want to have a cuddle and lower their blood pressure. It’s such a positive thing, makes you feel good about life on difficult days. Not sure about what ghosting is but sorry you’ve experienced it.

13. KW says:

I really love your outfit. I have on my mannequin an unfinished attempt at a sort of empire line dress also of black and white large scale gingham. It has a small gingham on the top and the gathered lower portion is the large gingham. I look like an enormous toddler in it. What was I thinking?

14. Sarah W says:

I had to look up what getting ghosted means…. such behaviour is incomprehensible to me, and I hope very soon you realise how fortunate you are to not have such a person in your world….

15. Connie says:

Great summer wear in giant gingham. Somehow nothing says summer like gingham, giant or not. I have been ghosted by someone I thought was my very good friend. It hurt. I hope you are doing well and spend lots of time petting Ella she will make you feel better.

16. Tanya says:

Well boo to him and yay to you, gingham, schnauzers and Ireland!

17. jocolumbine says:

Huh, men like that are why women have dogs. Love giant gingham.

18. Patricia M Ferrito says:

Do you think it’s possible to make the straps on the cami a bit wider? I don’t like my straps showing, but I can see the possibilities with this top.

19. This outfit is amazing! I love the culottes so much, I’ve been wanting to make a pair of gingham trousers for ages (I probably won’t be using such a big print though!) I also lreally like the top, I agree it looks fabulous with your vintage cardigan.

20. Great outfit! πŸ™‚

21. Linen in summer is ideal! Your pattern is amazing! Thank you for sharing!!! <3

22. Ann says:

I love the bias gingham Ogden. What a great look!

23. Karen Parr says:

Love the outfit, might just have to find me some giant gingham. The Ogden pattern is so versatile, a great wardrobe staple and stash buster. Ghosting is so cowardly and hurtful, on a positive note, best to find that out now what they’re like, rather than later in a relationship.

24. Pingback: My Version Of The Ogden Cami