What Still Scares You About Sewing?

scary sewing

If you ever think you have life nailed, you’re probably wrong. And after eight-ish years of sewing, I’ve realised the same is true about making your own clothes. Honestly, sewing still scares me sometimes!

This struck me on my latest make. Here are the first five fears that occurred to me, starting with the biggest fear I just can’t shake.

Fear Number One – What If It Doesn’t Fit?

I’m a woman; I have a distorted body image. For me at least, the two go together like social media and Me Made May. I’m paranoid about makes being too small so I often add a little extra when cutting out. On my latest make, this meant ripping out my zip insertion and removing a good two inches from the waist. Two inches!

Fear Number Two – Buttonholes

You’ve slaved over your make for more hours than you care to think about. The last step is inserting the buttonholes. And you know what’s happened in the past. Oh my, you know. I still never start sewing a buttonhole without accompanying pinpricks of sweat.

Fear Number Three – The Mistake There’s No Return From

Cutting out a directional print that faces the wrong way. Overlocking seams that should never have met. Adding fusible interfacing to the right side of the fabric. You get the point – some mistakes you can’t learn from. Some you just have to suck up and throw away. Gargghhhhhhh!

Fear Number Four – Disappointment

You pour so much work into sewing something, inspired by what you’ve seen on the pattern envelope and social media. But there’s always the fear … maybe it just won’t suit me. Or I’ve chosen the wrong fabric. Or I just … hate it.

Fear Number Five – Shall The Sewing Bee Ever Return?

This one, at least, is answered – for now! I can’t wait to see Joe Lycett take the sewing world by storm.

I’d love to know if there’s some sewing phobia you just can’t mentally get past. Share it below and send it out into the world – free therapy! And if you do have tips for battling the sewing fear, let us know. My buttonholes shall thank you.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

84 Responses to What Still Scares You About Sewing?

1. Alison G says:

I fear cutting into the front of a jacket to make welt pockets. Like when I made the Tamarac (?) Jacket by Grainline Studio. I put it aside for about 3 weeks before I took the plunge! I also fear the fabric waste of trying to nail the perfect fit on trousers … so many wasted meters of fabric!

• didyoumakethat says:

I have consciously avoided welt pockets, which makes no sense as I’ll sew a bound buttonhole with gay abandon.

2. Gilly Anderson says:

Jeans scare the pants off me!
    I keep seeing fantastic-looking patterns out there, but as soon as I start reading the related sewing blogs about deepening the crotch, knock-knee adjustments, etc, etc, I go cold and just make another tee-shirt. The sad thing is I live in jeans so it’d be more than useful if I could actually conquer this mad fear.

• Alison G says:

Just buy some cheap denim to start with and give it a go! Maybe have a good look at yourself in RTW jeans and think about what alterations are likely before you start. For me, I always get lines under the bum so do a flat bum adjustment at the start.

• liz n. says:

I highly recommend the online jeans-making class from Closet Case Patterns. In the class, they sew the Ginger skinny jeans, but I everything about jeans-making applies equally well to their Morgan jeans pattern, which are the jeans I’ve made…three pair now, in fact.

3. lauriesannie says:

Number two and number three. All. THE. TIME. So I avoid buttonholes, if I can, that is. And, last week I cut out a treasured fabric only to discover when I traced the pattern, I failed to flip for the opposite sleeve. And wait for it, I have no more fabric. Wadder.

4. Olivia says:

What if it just doesn’t suit me? I find it so hard to tell … I want to make a dress but what if I put in all that work and then find the style just doesn’t work on me?

And French seams. I’m too scared to try.

• didyoumakethat says:

Oh, please don’t be scared of French seams! They really are easy peasy.

• If you have an overlocker they are REALLY easy – I serge the first seam with 3 thread and the longest stitch possible wrong sides together – then press the seam right sides together which is easy because of the serged bump on the inside – then sew the final seam right sides together. Comes out perfect every time 🙂

5. I wholeheartedly agree with all of these! Especially three and four. I hate having to cut into fabric that I’ve been saving for ages, the pressure to make sure that it fits and that you like it increases massively. Also, sewing for other people: what if they won’t like it?

6. Kim Nath says:

Wasting time on something that ends up being a wadder. I have very little free time so I absolutely hate wasting my sewing time on something I can’t wear!

7. Candie Graham says:

1) I always worry about fit, I read all of the reviews and make comparisons before starting,
    2) if I can make one good buttonhole on scrap my Bernina sews the rest all the same, so that is a fear that I have finally conquered! My husband owns A LOT of shirts with snaps from before that,
    3) mistakes happen, I don’t worry about that as much anymore but if it happens can be depressing for sure especially if you don’t have enough fabric to fix the mistake,
    4) disappointment, I give a garment three tries and if I don’t like it after that I donate it and put it out of my mind which I just had to do with some beautiful knit that I had high hopes for.

8. Joy Barrand says:

Buttonholes definitely are my nemesis! I do also remember once cutting out a blouse in a lovely cream fabric where the right and wrong side of the fabric were indistinguishable and I ended up with 2 right sleeves. Both had beautiful french seams I might add. Very annoying.

9. giddylimit says:

Agonising I am too old for a design. Decided I shan’t give a toss and love my dungarees.

10. Corinne says:

I think the fit/suit me is likely number for most. I have patterns with design features that have already gone out of style because I procrastinate. Should I cut into this? Will it be too hot/cold for the season? But most of all is a mantra from my early years ( I have been sewing for 50+ years) does it have that “loving hands at home look?” I remember an early dress that I was so proud of and hearing derogatory comments from “friends” behind my back. It broke my heart and I have carried that black cloud ever since.

• Robin says:

On the other hand, it’s tough when you wish someone would give you a heads up if a style or fabric or color is wrong for me before I start, but no one can or does, and I suspect it’s off, make the darn thing anyway, looks silly, I try to talk myself into wearing it, decide wisely to donate and forget (see comment above). I just went through this cycle, can you tell? Rinse, repeat, aarrrgh…

11. Karen says:

I did smile when I saw buttonholes as I have a blouse just waiting for the buttonholes to be completed but I’m not ready to tackle them yet!! 😂😂 zips is my other fear!!

12. Monika says:

Definitely 1 and 4! When you’ve spent so much time making something there’s nothing worse than trying it on and realising that it just doesn’t suit you.

13. Nicola says:

Mine is fit and will I like it. On trouser fit after nearly buying a rtw pair that did not fit that well I decided to try closet case Sasha trousers and followed her fitting guide . A revelation that the fit was better than rtw and definitely wearable . Need a mother of the bride outfit now and I never wear dresses so that scares me.

• Lynda Mcmahon says:

Nicola ive noticed the letters RTW a few times on this blog.Could you please enlighten me its meaning. Ty in adv.

• LinB says:

“Ready to Wear.” There’s also WIP, “Work in Progress.” And FO, “Finished Object” and its sister, UFO, “Unfinished Object.” You will often see TNT, which means “Tried and True.” And OOP is a publishing term that means “Out of Print.”

14. Together with all the above, I am scared of hemming, especially skirts. It’s that final step, same as buttonholes, that might make or break a garment. More difficult to fix than one might think.

• thanderina says:

Oh my goodness yes! I used to outsource all my hemming to my poor mum. But there comes a time when you just have to face that fear (that time is approximately when your mum gets fed up with all your bloody hemming and refuses to do any more). So I watched endless videos and read every blog post I could get my hands on. I still fear hems, but at least I have an arsenal of information to throw at my fears.

• didyoumakethat says:

I am very impressed that your mum would hem for you – well, until she got fed up! Can’t beat a mum’s love.

15. Pamela Peers says:

Just making a Liberty tana lawn dress for my 5 year old grandaughter in a vintage style.Having torn up the pattern to get her vital statistics right- she still has to try it before I adjust the elastic in her sleeves and then consider a couture hem.Biggest bugbear- will my 43 year old sewing machine die on me.Also will she like it and look like a Helen Allingham figure outside our cottage.

• Jan says:

I offered Liberty Tana lawn dresses for my grand-neices. Gathered skirts, puffed sleeves and bow tied to the back. One said no. Four said ‘yes’. Three of those wanted to live in them and one would not even try it on, even though she had chosen the fabric and the design. (And two boys wanted shirts, so the third had to have one too – all have just about worn them out). Fortunately, I said from the start I was doing it for me – and the ones that wear them look totally fabulous – despite all the buttonholes which I hate!

• Suzanne says:

I made a dress for my nearly 2 year old grand-daughter for Christmas. It was a little large for her at the time but I reasoned that, as it was short-sleeved, it would fit her nicely when the weather got warmer. It’s made from a pretty and soft cotton fabric but is a fairly straightforward style with a gathered skirt. I was very careful to finish the inside of the dress by using French seams throughout except the skirt to bodice seam which I made a binding for and hand-sewed in. Will she wear it? No! ‘Not pretty Grandma’ is her reasoning. This because she received three VERY pretty and EXPENSIVE ‘party dresses’ for her birthday from other members of her family and just wants to wear them all the time. I’ve suggested to my daughter that if any of her friends would like it for their daughter she should give it away – I’d rather that than it not get worn after all that work!

16. susew says:

I’m with you on buttonholes- the test buttonhole usually looks great as it’s done on a flat and even thickness sample. Then the real thing can easily go off track over multiple layer of graded fabric- and it’s so tedious taking out buttonhole stitching. I’ve gotten over my fear of welt pockets/ lapped button bands- have done this twice recently and quite pleased with my novice efforts.

17. Nia says:

I’m terrified of sewing collars! When I was 13 years old I took a sewing course and the only thing I didn’t learn was to insert collars! I’m 29 years old now, and I’ve never made a top with a collar 🙁

• liz n. says:

Buy some plain muslin or very inexpensive fabric, or cut up a shirt from a thrift shop, and use it to practice. You get to make mistakes and more mistakes without using up the good stuff!

18. Beth Duffus says:

Disappointment. I never start a sewing project without hoping for a ‘wow’ moment at the end but I often just get a ‘meh’. And matching fabric to garment is not one of my strengths. I often get one part of the fabric-colour-pattern triangle wrong but don’t see it until the garment is finished. I recently made a loose, short-sleeved kimono top in burgundy satin thinking it would be a nice little slinky going-out top but it is very shiny. It is too shiny. I am disappointed.

• JenL says:

I think that feeling is part of the process. In art school I learned to put my disappointing images (photographs) in a box for awhile (usually a few months to a year) and then look at them later. Sometimes I would really like an image I had been disappointed with. Or sometimes I could see more clearly what didn’t work and why.

19. Linda Lakes says:

Buttonholes! And sewing the collar on a tailored shirt. I always fret when sewing and finishing the collar band.

20. JenL says:

I don’t think I really have any fears. (Make A LOT of buttonholes, and then have no fear left). However—what I worry about more than anything is fraying fabric. That makes me crazy, like when the fibers keep coming out and the seam allowance is getting less and dangerously lesser. So clipping into corners and such is something that a worry about. But for many worries there is a solution. In my case, Fraycheck. A miracle substance as far as I am concerned!

21. liz n. says:

I always seem to sew off-season: sleeveless dresses get sew during winter, jeans get sewn during summer. I have no earthly idea why it ends up this way, but it leaves me worrying that I might add a few pounds or just not like the garment when its season finally rolls around.

22. I measure, I follow guidance on size selection but I can never, ever, come close to a good fit. Just finished yet another dress with a choking neck. Sooo frustrating.

• LinB says:

Often that “choking neck” is a signal that you have a slightly forward-thrusting neck. This means that your back is slightly longer at the neck than standard, and also that your front is slightly shorter than standard. A quick-and-dirty fix is to cut one size larger than you need at the shoulder line and neck back, and one size smaller than you need at the front shoulder and neckline. The whole adjustment averages out to be the size in between. You will also set any sleeve very slightly forward in the armscye, since you’ve effectively shifted the shoulder point forward by half a size.
      This ought to give you room for your head without the garment pulling back along your throat, as it attempts to fit itself to your body when wearing.
      You could also merely cut the front neckline lower, enough to accommodate your throat. In that case, you’ll have to re-draw any facings. You’ll also probably have to lengthen a collar stand if that is part of your garment.

23. Natasha says:

My biggest fear is fit. However, I have been known to dive in with my favorite fabric on the first try just because I get so (sew, sew) excited about the outcome. I am still trying to figure out fit and I add extra inches to patterns because I fear they will be too tight. It’s kind of ridiculous, but it’s what I do. I am taking a fitting class this weekend though! Happy Sewing!

24. thanderina says:

I absolutely hear you on fear one. It’s actually why I stopped sewing for a long time, because nothing ever seemed to fit. And those fit issues were my own doing! I just stopped trusting patterns. Now that I’ve started using indie patterns I feel more comfortable trusting the numbers, trusting the drafting, and muslining the crap out of everything! I also fear the disappointment of making something that just doesn’t work. I had a bad run of that recently and it really knocked my sewjo on its butt.

25. Saki says:

You’re giving me anxiety from just reading this list! To tell the truth, I don’t relate to most of these fears at this point in my sewing life, other than making something in the wrong fabric. And I’m a pretty anxious person! I think it comes down to the root of the feeling of fear in humans- it used to be used as a warning and for survival, and now sometimes it’s irrational. If you start to feel afraid of starting a sewing project, it might be helpful to tease out- do I have a reason to feel this way? Is there anything you can do to mitigate it? (I.e., practicing buttonholes on your exact fabric combo and layers, testing the drape of a fabric over a dress form or something similar, measuring similar existing clothes that fit you properly to determine ease). Sometimes fear is really telling you that it should be done differently, but most of the time it’s just negative self-talk, and none of us need that in our lives.

Thanks for starting this discussion thread!

26. I used to dodge knits, but my overlocker cured that. I used to dodge buttonholes [like, for about 35 YEARS] but once I got my vintage Singer buttonholer, I actively ASK to make shirts for the missus and make as many buttonholes as possible. Seriously ladies, just get one they are WONDERFUL
    I never feared collars or sleeves, I just got on with it, and am much better now, and still learning teeny new tricks to improve. I never even used to know about fit..and sometimes I make a conscious effort, other times I forget and just hope. Usually comes out OK! I never knew there was such a thing as pattern matching either, so rarely give a toss about that. Zips and hems? I learned years ago to do most of them by hand, and never looked back.
    I taught myself a few tailoring points, basic corsetry, costume making tricks…I think the days of no internet made for far fewer chances to compare my efforts with expertise, so I wasn’t daunted!
    So what still worries me? Welt pockets. *shudder* I know all the tricks, I have even done a couple of reasonably successful ones, but oh, I hate ’em!
    I dipped my toe into bra making, and I wouldn’t say I’m SCARED of it, but I can’t be bothered to go through all the toile iterations to get it right.
    I think it helps that I’m far from being a perfectionist. Go on ladies, get a Singer buttonholer, sew all the tricky things by hand, and enjoy life and sewing!

27. iribeiro says:

True, True, True, True and True, specially number 4: I’ve chucked two perfectly made and fitting dresses in the clothes donations containers because I was disapointed with the fit, and I keep one around to go to the beach only – elasticated waists are my nemesis, I keep fooling myself with pretty patterbs but I never like to see myself in them. I have 3 meters of pretty Liberty lawn (gasp!!) to be cut into a Penny dress because I love the look and style Lisa Comfort, but will it suit me???

28. Catherine says:

Button holes are definitely my biggest fear. I did create some hand emboidered ones regenerated weren’t too shabby – I’m slowly facing the fear. And definitely looking forward to the next Sewing Bee. Thanks for the insight xx

29. Tracy SF says:

Slipping with the seam ripper…..

30. acraftyscrivener says:

Though I have made- and worn- my me mades daily – splitting a seam. I reinforce that crotch curve every time, and it’s never happened (except once, as I squatted down to fill the dog’s bowl BEFORE I went out of the house, thank goodness!!!!! And that wasn’t the seam but the fabric)….

31. Beth Duffus says:

This is a great blog. Excellent posts and always lots of interesting comments, which is great because none of my friends sew and I can tell they get a bit bored when I talk about sewing. (Who on earth gets bored talking about sewing?!)
    There is much anxiety about getting fit right it seems. A few years back I got so fed up with this that I made myself a fitting ‘shell’ and I’ve never looked back (https://sewdirect.com/acatalog/McCalls_-_M2718.html) but, cards on the table, it is a bit of a palaver. If I had my time over I would go to a night class on fitting, or simply lift the pattern from a RTW garment that fits well and use that as a base. Fit for Real People is also a well-thumbed book on my shelf.
    And how on earth did we cope pre-YouTube?

32. Big yes to all the Points. Especially buttonholes, I mean you are cutting holes! In your garments.

33. Louise says:

I hate when things don’t fit or I don’t like it, when I’ve spent ages making it or spent loads of money on the fabric and notions! In fact, this exact fear is what’s made me seriously lose my sewing mojo many a time!

34. Suzanne says:

Yeah buttonholes! And the fear it won’t fit (things rarely do!). I love the anticipation of starting another project and the actual act of sewing something but I’m often disappointed when I’m finished it. I have a weird upper body shape and therein lies the problem….
    I’d love to be able to attend a fitting class but there just don’t seem to be any anywhere near me and, as Beth I don’t have any friends that sew. BUT, I am currently waiting for a copy of Fit for Real People to arrive (3 months now, sigh!) and hope this may solve many of my problems.

35. I’ve been humming and hawing over sewing a swimsuit for about a year – super stretchy fabric, a close but comfy fit – long enough for my tall body – the bust – the right style. It goes on and on BUT Jenny of Cashmerette patterns has just released her first swimsuit AND online course so no excuses left 🙂 but I’m still nervous.

36. Beth (SunnyGal Studio) says:

I agree with the above comment, Singer vintage buttonhole attachment is worth the investment in that machine. As for sewing fears – nope. My philosophy on all endeavors is this – it’s not brain surgery. there are no high stakes, it will turn out or not but if I don’t try I will never succeed. Also, practice. I test/practice all seams, buttonholes etc. before doing the real thing. I think it builds a lot of confidence and helps avoid errors.

37. paebnt says:

Disappointment is a big one! As a cosplayer I work from already existing source material and want to get my stuff as close to it as possible, and yet there’s always a high chance it won’t be as vibrant, dynamic or well fitted as the artwork I’m working from. It makes me sad when I put the result on and it just doesn’t suit me at all… It’s a shame every time, but even so the sewing is good practice!

38. I am afraid of making jackets. Don’t ask me why, but I have countless patterns, fabric and lining ready to go but for some reason I will not start the project.

Fit is also a big deal. On Monday I made up a top and probably need to remove 6″ from the waist. Yes … 6″. And most of that is due to my pattern alteration.

I’m not afraid of making things that don’t suit me … proof positive the things that hang in my closet unworn because they’re designed for someone 40 pounds lighter and 20 years younger!

39. First, cutting into a treasured piece of fabric. What if it doesn’t fit and the fabric is wasted? Second, pattern matching irregular patterns such as florals. If I get it right, it’s more by coincidence than design.

40. Fit is probably my #1 fear. Having one of those body types that is hard to flatter doesn’t help either, so I’d say my #2 (extremely justified) fear is wondering if something is going to look OK on a body with a belly. Buttonholes used to be a fear, but then I got a new machine, and while I haven’t put it to the test on an actual garment, I’m going to assume that everything will be OK.

P.S. I had to log out of my wordpress account to comment, it gave me a 500 internal server error.

41. Janet says:

So many of these ring true for me. I usually combine 1 (fear it won’t fit) and 4 (fear of disappointment) to make Fear Of Trying It On For the First Time. Sometimes I put this off for days, because I don’t want to deal with the fallout if it doesn’t look the way I imagined it! Daft, but true.

42. Sara Murray says:

Button Holes! I’ve just finished a Rosa Shirt in THE most perfect fabric with perfect princess seams & I’m now terrified of those button holes. What if I totally bugger up my perfect shirt. Urghhh. Need to get a grip of myself 😉

43. Katie M says:

Starting is my problem. I buy some wonderful fabric, or a pattern I really like and then I get hit with this paralysis. I start thinking “what if it doesn’t fit” “what if it doesn’t suit me” “what if the techniques are too hard” and on and on. So I read blogs and watch technique videos for ages, and finally I take the plunge … and it’s fine. I don’t know why I get so hung up, but I do. I’ve finally conquered my fear of knit fabrics and can knock up a t-shirt in less than an hour and I’ve even made my husband a linen shirt. Sometimes you just need to kick yourself in the pants and just start.

44. Ruth says:

Thank you so much for this timely post. Last night I was almost sobbing. I had finally found time to sew for myself and spent time making pattern alterations and sewing a new dress only to find I hadn’t got the shape quite right. Major Disappointment!

I’ll third the Vintage buttonhole attachment, makes buttonholes a total breeze.

45. Pecia says:

Jeans, and getting the fit right on me scared me for the longest time. In the end I did a jeans course at The Village Haberdashery. The teacher was great, very patient with us all agonising over our assorted adjustments but we all walked away with jeans that fit and the knowledge of how to make the next 20 pairs 😀

As a bonus I made some great friends who shared my fear.

46. Robin says:

I have made a few pair from lighter material such as cambray, and been very happy with the result, mostly because I could not buy those pants from anywhere in that fabrication/print (blue on blue stripes!) But I have also bought RTW jeans made from great fabrics for.a fraction of what I could make them and they fit perfectly. Honestly, they can be a lot of work to make, so you really have to enjoy the entire process.

47. I hate sewing buttonholes so I have got a few things with press studs, trouser bars, hooks and eyes… I also cut practically everything out too big and end up having to make adjustments whilst sewing. I know I nearly always do it but I can’t stop! Help!

48. Ann says:

Number four, absolutely. Buttonholes, zippers, collars I can all practice on until I’m confident. But at my age and weight, whether a style will be becoming is a huge unknown. So what do I do? Make the same things over and over. Sigh. I’d love a summer dress, but most dresses look like a five man tent on me. To put in all those hours of careful work and end up with something I’d never wear scares me away from lots of things.

49. Linda V says:

Zippers!!! I have substituted more snaps and buttons than I can count because they scare me so much….. the extra sad part is I own 200+ new old stock vintage zippers but can’t sew them. And (to me) an invisible zipper is so elegant.

50. Button holes. I have an Alder dress ready to go bar the button holing. I can’t bring myself to finish it for fear of ruining all my work!

51. Melissa says:

Zips. I’ve been sewing for 6 years and I hate them still. Also, wasting fabric. Sometimes I feel like my flat is where good fabric comes to die, because I am such a perfectionist.

52. Jacqueline says:

The fit, I have a skirt that is HUGE, as I added a little bit, just to make sure, I haven’t got around to altering it yet. Zips, buttonholes, stretch fabric, these things all stop me in my tracks. I also have an issue with wearing things I have made, in case anybody notices it’s homemade. I also have a huge procrastination problem. I have lots of fabric and patterns, but have a fear of cutting into the fabric.

53. Chris says:

For the longest time, I was terrified of sewing a hoodie. Then I sewed Jalie 2795 – following a great sew-along:

I made so many mistakes that I decided it was a wadder. Then, I ended up wearing it ALL the time and it looks ok (to the non-sewer eye.)

Now, I just made another (gray) hoodie from a Lekala pattern, which turned out wonky (due to my mistakes – the pattern is really good.)

I’ll use it, though, because I wear a hoodie to sleep in. So, I just cut it out again in black, which I’ll sew up, trying to avoid the mistakes I made on my “wearable muslin”.
    🙂

54. I’ve been sewing on and off since age 9 and I’m 56. It’s so rare I have time to sew now, I’ve reached the “sew with abandon, don’t give a rat’s ass” attitude. If it works, wonderful. If it doesn’t, oh well, at least I was focusing on sewing, escaping reality for a bit. They sell more fabric everyday, as evidenced by the bins in my sewing room. 😂😂

55. Hannah says:

Cutting fabric is still my fear, it’s the no going back part! I can undo a seam that’s not quite right, take in a seam that’s too big, adjust the length of something, but if you cut something out wrong, you can’t undo that!

56. Fraggle says:

Late to the party, but my fear is always not doing that special fabric justice… I actually challenge myself to use 5 scary stash fabrics each year now. If I don’t cut into them, they go on the fire on New year’s day. It’s extreme, but it really helps to know that if it doesn’t work out it was more use than a bad fuel and a pile of ash!

As for style, I frequently visit department stores to try different styles to see what colours and shapes I am comfortable in. Especially if I have changed size recently (which seems to happen all the time) it also helps to remind me how many errors there are in RTW clothes and how bad they fit. ItalwaIt makes me feel better about my makes.

57. amcclure2014 says:

Oh all of the above! My biggest sadness is when I put in effort and the garment really disappoints for whatever reason