Waistcoat Wednesday

waistcoats

Well, in a few hours from now we’ll know one way or another. If England is through to the finals. Do you have your beer in the fridge and sewing machine wheeled in front of the telly?

Whatever the outcome, the team’s manager, Gareth Southgate has proved himself heroic. The world’s in love with his humble yet powerful leadership – and his waistcoats!

If this has inspired you to sew a waistcoat, the 70s were the waistcoat decade. The above is a Woman’s Realm pattern. It’s not dated, but by those haircuts I’m going with 1970s. Agreed?

Of course, we can go much farther back than that – take this Vogue 1950s pattern for a man’s waistcoat. How debonair.

vogue waistcoat

I shan’t claim that all waistcoat patterns shall have you brimming with inspiration. Shudder…

new look waistcoat

Surrey (Waistcoat) With A Fringe On Top (On Bottom)

And again, going by the haircuts, I’m guessing the below Vogue pattern is classic 1980s?

1980s waistcoat

I wonder if there shall be a new sewing pattern release coming soon?

Whatever you’re doing this evening, I hope you have fun!

15 Responses to Waistcoat Wednesday

1. When I was a teenager I used to buy men’s waistcoats in charity shops and wear them over collarless men’s dress shirts. I had a seventies haircut like the ‘Purdy’ one. too. Good ol’ Gareth Southgate. Even if we lose I will salute him for bringing back the waistcoat.

2. Silvia says:

The illustrations on the Vogue pattern at the end are very Lauren Hutton so I’d guess late 70s early 80s. Now to be perfectly honest, I’m not a fan of the vest. That may be due to the fact that I work for an airline and we have to wear vests over our blouses (unless it’s the height of summer) or a blazer or cardie by dress code. So after decades of enforced vest wearing, I’ll let Mr. Southgate take this turn.

Good luck England!

3. In the early 80’s I was way into men’s look vests over my button up shirts. Funny how tastes change over the years LOL!

4. Theresa in Tucson says:

At one time I had a sizeable collection of vests. Being hippy and flat chested I was using them to balance and add bulk to my upper half. Now the only vests I have are outergarment types that you wear for warmth on chilly but not cold days. I’m not following the World Cup except by reading the headlines on the sports page but good luck to England.
    Theresa in Tucson

5. Miriana says:

I used to have a lovely floral cord one when I was a teenager.

Did you read this lovely article about GS? https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/10/why-the-nation-fell-for-gareth-southgate

6. Karin says:

I love waistcoats but as they’re not “in” I almost never wear the single one I own 🙁

7. I love the illustrations of the first pattern!

8. where2wearit says:

Think I remember making that Vogue one

9. Rachel says:

Gareth Southgate does make a compelling argument for a vest/waistcoat return. I have been playing with the idea of a tailored skirt and vest combo. But fear that it will make me look like a flight attendant.

Very sorry for the loss this afternoon, my family was hoping for an England-France showdown.

10. sewandsnip says:

I love waistcoats & have various ones in my wardrobe which are worn regularly. In fact I’ve just made new ones as uniform in my salon with the logo embroidered on the back & little scissor buttons!

11. Heidi says:

That Annie Hall look was in style in the late ’70s and I remember raiding my Dad’s closet for a couple of his vests (US term).

12. Janet says:

The Thread Theory Belvedere pattern is fairly new – if anyone’s dad/brother/partner wants a Gareth lookalike outfit! https://threadtheory.ca/products/belvedere-waistcoat

13. Oh, I wear waistcoats all the time. I have a knitted one that my mother made out of a blend of merino and possum wool. It used to be a pullover which ended up in a warm wash and shrunk. I also have one that used to belong to my grandfather. My favourite is a little double-breasted number in brocade that I wear over tank tops. I don’t think they ever really go out of fashion although the padded vests are more popular right now.

14. ROBYN A. WEINBAUM says:

i have vests for every occasion and in every possible fabric. i recently made my son a double-breasted brocade vest for his wedding. i have a herringbone and a twill on the sewing table for him for the fall. he inherited my love of vests. ps: i still have that vogue pattern!

15. Beckyjopdx says:

Total brainlink. I recently adapted the Thread Theory Belvedere Waistcoat pattern to fit me….well, fit good enough, but not quite right. I’m going to draft one this fall. It’s long overdue to have modern women’s waistcoat options.