Deer And Doe Myosotis Dress

deer and doe myosotis dress

I have so many opinions about the Deer And Doe Myosotis Dress! Which makes for a good sewing pattern, don’t you think? Nothing worse than indifference, after all.

I was inspired to sew this after trying on a dress in COS. A cotton dress that cost £80. Nah, mate, I thought, placing it back on the rack. I own a sewing machine.

And I LOVE my Myosotis dress. It’s a loose-fitting shirtdress with a tiered skirt. I would never have considered this pattern if I hadn’t seen Rachel of The Foldline wearing it at The Sewing Weekender. I thought she looked absolutely beautiful and I couldn’t stop gazing at her. I was sold.

So, the Myosotis. Once you nail the bodice fit, you’re laughing – but you do need to nail the bodice fit.

A glance at the finished measurements led me to go down a size. I could probably have gone down two sizes. I needed to tweak:

• 1.5 cm off the shoulders
  • 2cm off the back bodice waist
  • Lower the bust dart by 5cm

I note these adjustments here as an aide-memoire to myself and they’re not untypical for my body. I recommend everyone tweak this bodice to suit their preferred fit and I’d suggest a bodice toile.

For goodness sake, don’t toile the rest of the dress! How many gathers do you need to make in one lifetime?

A couple of other points about this pattern:

• Ignore their instructions for attaching the collar and find a better technique
  • Consider sewing a more narrow sleeve
  • Maybe lengthen the sleeve piece if you’re going for the sleeve ruffle
  • DEFINITELY consider adding a third tier if you’re sewing the tiered skirt

This last point was the biggie, for me. I added a final tier that lengthened the skirt by 5 inches. This felt like the missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle to this beautiful dress. That last tier really helps with the hang and it sits well on the leg. For my tastes, at least.

how to sew a tiered skirt

I used fabric bought from TMOS. Some sort of tencel twill, I believe. It looks black, but it’s actually a very dark grey.

I was lucky. This fabric gathered easily with only one row of basting thread. Test how easily your fabric gathers on a swatch of fabric before commencing with the make. Because there is a lot of gathering. I didn’t find this stressful, but it gave me the weirdest headache and neck tension!

I’ve heard great things about gathering feet for sewing machines. What say you? Very tempted.

I’m already fantasising about sewing this dress in a nice, heavy silk. Oh, wouldn’t that be divine?

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Deer And Doe Myosotis Dress

1. I’ve made three copies of this dress and I love the pattern as much as you do! It’s a great pattern!

2. The creative pixie says:

It looks like a beautiful dress

3. Eliza-sew-little says:

This dress looks gorgeous. In the pic it looks purple! but grey is good too. Last time I had lots of gathers to do I used my overlocker ( I used the manual to find the settings) I seem to remember it was quick and easy. Wonder if that would work on this dress?

4. Selena says:

Ooh, is this a recent buy from TMOS? I adore tencel twill. This suits you perfectly

5. This is so cute. It looks very nice on you.

6. spikeabell says:

This is on my list for summer and I will definitely be adding length. Good to see what another tier looks like. Thanks for the tips and yes silk would be divine!

7. To be honest I am not so convinced about this pattern. I love the bodice and sleeves but the tiered and gathered skirt add too much volume to the silhouette…so very much depends on your body and style preference. The fabric you chose looks great.

8. Oh gosh the minute the thumbnail photo scrolled up in Bloglovin I had a jolt of very pleasurable memory. My teen years were all about these dresses, in Indian print voiles and gorgeous rayons. I made a similar one in browns and blues, different fabrics all toning together, that to this day i would proudly wear had it not gone to the Great wardrobe in the Sky decades ago.
    Lovely! also, TMOS is on my tourist plans for London above and beyond all the other famous landmarks!!

• Kathy Lynch says:

Oh, I think TMOS is a bone fide landmark himself! Take it from an Aussie currently on holiday in London right now! I visited him last Saturday week & reminded him how famous he’s become, thanks to DYMT! He smiled & said “Ahh, Karen!” Teehee. A most charming man from whom I purchased “quite a few” metres! (SOOO much cheaper than the $’s we pay in Australia!) Enjoy your trip to beautiful UK!

9. bracken says:

Totally I get this “Nah, mate, I thought, placing it back on the rack. I own a sewing machine. “.

10. This is gorgeous! I love the fabric and the pattern is stunning.

11. lizafrica says:

Hi Karen,
    Sorry this does not relate to this post.

I am coming to London next week and plan to do a little self tour of sewing and fabric stores. I remember your post on the Walthamstow market and have printed the map. Could you please tell me if this market is open every day or only some days? I would love to browse in the TMOS but want to be sure I come on a day he is there.
    Many thanks for any info you can give.
    I am coming from Canada to visit my family who live in London but I am the National Education Manager for Janome and Elna in Canada hence the huge interest in checking out British sewing stores.

Liz Thompson.

12. Sarah says:

I am loving this on you! I think that added tier really makes it. Might have to invest in this pattern now. I for one love gathers and find it quite therapeutic to do, although I totally relate to the neck ache situation.

13. Pingback: Wednesday Weekly #143 – Helen's Closet

14. Absolutely gorgeous! Perfect on you! I am copying it, haha! Sorry for my piracy, we all need our inspiration, and this is inspiration, thank you. Regarding the gathering by machine, I do it with the normal feet: you just stitch a line or two parallel ones with maximum length and then pull the bobbin thread. To mak it even, mark its quarters, tighten to measure, measuring the quarters to be equal.

15. pipandlucillle says:

late to this, but for the love of all that is good in the world – the gathering foot is magic. glorious stuff. worth every.single.penny.