Would you take a meeting with this woman? I know, debatable, right?
I’m getting ready for a work trip away, so obviously I had to squeeze in some sewing! I’m wearing:
Burda 7020 Jacket – sewn four years ago
The Maker’s Atelier One Hour Skirt – sewn seven months ago
The Tilly and the Buttons Nora top – sewn this weekend!
This is sooooo going to be an outfit when I’m racing around New York, but in the meantime I guess I should show you the Nora top. Can you see it better now?
Ha, ha! I’m taking lots of photos of Ella as we’re about to be separated for three weeks. SOB.
Okay, what about now? Now, can you see it?
Let’s just acknowledge that black is never going to photograph well. But what a wardrobe staple this pattern is! I particularly love the high neckline for:
- cold, draughty offices in winter
- coverage of bra straps, slips and a three-course dinner
To give you the low down:
- I cut out the body as per body measurements
- I added 4cm to body length
- I cut out the sleeves three sizes smaller
- I removed 2cm from sleeve length
- I reduced the depth of the split in the split hem
- I reduced the width of the high neckband by 5cm
So, a fair amount of tweaking.
The instructions don’t tell you to do this, but I added fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the split hem to stabilise it prior to sewing. This is a great little tip!
I’ve already ordered some more jersey for a second version of this top in a significantly more striking colour. In the meantime, black may not photograph well but it shall definitely get worn in meetings.
Now, take a letter, Miss Rhodes. Did you hear they’re re-making 9 to 5? I can’t wait!