The Caress Of Silk

how to sew a silk dress

Can anyone recommend a blogger-friendly point and shoot camera? I’ve been using the same one almost since I started blogging, and it’s dying on its feet. I’m not interested in an SLR – I find those impossible for taking photos of myself. Just a nice, simple, high-quality camera that means I don’t always have to scurry outside for best light.

Because this is what happens! A bit of a Marilyn Monroe moment, overlooked by neighbours. Though a person might argue these are the best shots.

myosotis dress in silk

When I sewed my first Deer and Doe Myosotis Dress, I promised myself one in silk. It’s finally happened.

For this version, I used the last of my House of Hackney silk, bought in a sample sale. I didn’t have quite enough to add my usual extra ruffle hem, but I like this shorter, flirty version. Do you?

I took a lot of time over hand stitching various details and added some NW3 of Hobbs buttons, rescued from a cardigan…

I like the fact that I might confuse people. Hold on. Is that Hobbs or House of Hackney. Neither! It’s hand made.

nw3 button

The silk has a very dense weave, which sometimes makes it tricky to sew with. Silk pins definitely needed. But oh my goodness, the print and colour saturation!

dress on a manequinn

This is why we sew. So that we can feel the butter-smooth ripple of silk fibres against our skin as we stand in the wind. When most people are scurrying home, faces to the ground, we’re absorbing the joy of stitches made by our own hands. Stitches that allow silk to caress our bodies. And, really, it is a joy. I can’t think of a better reason to sew…

dress blowing in the wind

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The Caress Of Silk

1. “Butter-smooth ripple of silk fibres against our skin ” – love your description of wearing silk, it truly is wonderful, isn’t it? What is the print on the silk – they look like something unicellular – maybe a paramecium?

• Haha – they do! I was first thinking amoebas, but with villi all over they have to be parameciums, of course! It’s a fab print, isn’t it. And I totally agree with you re the description of wearing silk.

2. JenL says:

I love that amoeba-leopard print fabric!

As for cameras, I’ve been using a Sony Cybershot for a couple of years and really like it. Easy to use and nice quality images.

3. Lucky Lucy says:

Beautiful make, silk makes it have a totally different character. Love the semi-candid photo’s!

4. Cute photos! I like it! These days most phones have as good or better cameras than a standard point and shoot, and you can easily buy a tripod and blue tooth clicker for your phone to take photos. I’ve been using a gorillapod with my old Canon point and shoot for years, and recently bought a screw on accessory that lets me use my phone with it. A $6 clicker and I’m good to go.

5. Jackie Nixon says:

Oh, this is just stunning. You’ve inspired me to try one of these. It looks so perfect! X

6. Caroline Joynson says:

This looks fab Karen.
    I have just signed up to the VH book event with you in April which I’m really looking forward to meeting you again (we have chatted at SOI events a few times – I’m a fellow northerner too).

7. Lora says:

Cute photos! Like Juliana, i have a little Canon Power Shot Elph. Use it with a gorilla pod. It’s ancient, but I am still amazed by how good the photos are. Good luck on the book launch!

8. deborahnhamilton says:

Your dress is beautiful! I have never sewn silk, but I would like to try it someday. My camera is a Samsung WB350F and it’s good for blog pics.

9. Well said, Karen! This is indeed why we sew. And to get clothes that fit and flatter without having to pay an arm and a leg. Gorgeous fabric, very biological print. 😁

10. I use an ancient Fujifilm Finepix AB20, probably ‘out of print’ by now lol. Does for me though and I don’t ditch tech unless it dies.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE silk. I’d make everything in silk if it was practical to do so, and don’t understand why so many people think it’s hard to work with. I mean, silk chiffon, or slippery fabrics yes, but they’re evil in poly too so it’s not the fibre causing the grief, it’s the fabric/weave.

11. Janine Sews says:

Thanks for posting this and reminding me that I sew for more reasons than just wanting something new to wear … it’s about feeling the fabric and watching the needle and thread pass through the fibre.

12. Colleen says:

I adore this dress on you and it makes me want to give it another chance! Love the vivid blue of the silk and the tights!

13. Emily says:

I have some silk I’ve been saving, and have been mulling over making it into a Myosotis dress! Yours is beautiful! Now I have to make one, too.

14. This is beyond gorgeous. That pattern has not inspired me (“not me”) but this execution changes that. Then again, I’m sure I’m up to taking in silk….

15. C A Oakley says:

Where d’you get those mighty fine buttons?