Five Ways To Create In Lockdown

adult colouring

The world currently feels divided between those of us who relish our creativity and those of us who … just can’t get going.

If the latter is you – or if you want to inspire a friend who might benefit from an injection of craft – I thought I’d round up five home-friendly creative projects that could help.

COLOURING IN

You may remember the spurt of adult colouring books a few years ago. I predict a resurgence! It’s calming, comforting and gives you the opportunity to colour in a gift. Check out the free downloadable template from Jacqueline Colley that I coloured in recently, with a dear friend in mind.

Isn’t it just perfect?

If you fancy a spot of colouring in, I strongly recommend these Caran D’ache Swisscolor color Pencils. They’re gorgeously waxy with great pigmentation.

KNITTING

If you don’t fancy sewing, you can always knit. Right now, Whitney Hayward is generously sharing her knitting patterns for free, in support of the community.

Please don’t think you can’t knit! If you can learn knit one, pearl one, you can knit anything! Even one of my most complicated shawl patterns is basically knit one, purl one.

pop-spots-shawl-details

EMBROIDERY

A couple of years ago, my mum announced that she could no longer knit because of arthritis. I was bereft. The hobby that we’d shared for certainly all of my life. But you can’t keep a good woman down! She discovered blackwork and was soon creating the most stunning pieces. She even inspired me to buy my own embroidery kit.

blackwork

WRITING

Lots of people are inspired to write their memoirs right now, or even the novel they’ve always had burning inside them. Could that be you? Or might you even … start a blog? I wouldn’t be surprised to see a return to this format, as we all crave long form, more meaningful ways to engage with each other. I have a few blogging tips. It’s all about the fine art of conversation…

conversation-collage

MAKE UP

I know this one sounds crazy, but bear with me! I’ve recently really enjoyed watching Youtube make up videos. So calming, late at night when I can’t concentrate on reading. The queen for me (and many others) is Lisa Eldridge. You’ll quickly learn that applying make up is a craft like any other. And a swipe of lipstick keeps us buoyant in trying times. If you’re into the vintage look, Timeless: A Century of Iconic Looks is a great book.

lisa eldridge

I hope that helped. What other creative activities could you recommend? I’m all ears!

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Five Ways To Create In Lockdown

1. Judy says:

Thank you for this wonderful post! So helpful in difficult times to know there are others who cannot follow their usual creative channels. I will definitely follow your advice.

2. artcoopsville says:

I’m sewing of course! I’m also taking part in the Textile Artist weekly challenge. It’s prompted me to get into doing a bit of embroidery. I’ll also be drawing and maybe painting. I teach art so creating examples for my students is a good way to get in some basics practice. Paul Carney arts offers free online drawing classes. And of course GBSB is coming soon as is Grayson Perry running art lessons on the TV

3. suth2 says:

Thank you. So many wonderful ideas. I am a knitter and a sewer and used to do cross stitch but my eyesight has stopped that. Thanks for other ideas to pursue.

4. Gayle says:

Great post! Thank you
    What is that yummy looking lipstick at the end?

5. Kat says:

I have been cutting out fabric and putting them in plastic wallets with their patterns, so when I feel like sewing for a little while, I can just grab a wallet and get down to it.

6. I’ve tidied all my rhinestones; picking through the hundreds of loose ones in the bottom of the container and returning them to the appropriate ziplock bag, and then sorting those bags into larger bags of colour groups. Very calming. And I’ve made some masks. I got out some fabric, looked at it, and put it aside. But this week I saw a top from the 19 teens that is absolutely gorgeous and I feel inspired to make it. We are very locked down here but that is why, clearly, I have huge cupboards of fabric. THIS is what all that stash building was for!

7. Jenny says:

Yesterday I spent 2 hours untangling yarn. It was perfect.

8. Kathy Crawford says:

I have been sorting out buttons in my button collection for my almost 5 year old granddaughter who lives across the country. I am not sending the ones that are old-fashioned baby clothes or other too-tiny ones. It has been a relaxing activity as I remembered making clothing and using buttons from my stash for my now 40 year old son. I used to sew for my whole family at a much more rapid rate and everything fit back then.

9. Katie M says:

That blackwork embroidery is fabulous.

10. That embroidery is gorgeous!