Sewing A Top For Spring Trends

Let me tell you a secret. I’m one of those rare people who doesn’t pack away winter and summer wardrobes according to the seasons. I just don’t own that many clothes! But this top allowed me to understand that there is room in my closet for a spring top. Light enough to keep me feeling bright and breezy, but with a bit of coverage should a chill set in.

And statement sleeves are a big part of Spring 2020.

The pattern is from McCalls – the M7542, gifted to me by Almond Rock. The lawn cotton fabric came to me from a fabric swap. So, I’m calling this a free make! I’m trying to be careful with my sewing purchases right now. I have a cupboard full of stash fabric, after all and neither of us are going anywhere any time soon.

I made version C with those crisp pleats in the sleeve detail. Heavenly! Just look at how the cuff catches a breeze…

There’s lots to like about this sewing pattern. The M7542…

• has separate cup sizes
  • fits true to size
  • satisfies the current season’s crush on statement sleeves
  • has five different variations
  • only asks for one notion – a hook & eye

Why don’t you give it a go!

13 Responses to Sewing A Top For Spring Trends

1. ROBYN A. WEINBAUM says:

what a great print! what a great make! love love love it!

2. An Chi says:

Cute sleeve 🙂 I also love the color combo of top and pants.

3. Megan says:

Very pretty fabric. I love those shorts too. I agree about packing stuff away, how much do people have and where do you put it all? I find there are very warm sunny days in winter and cooler days in summer so it is nice to dress for the appropriate weather and no the season. In my one and only (I hope) trip to New York I walked around in a t-shirt in October and everyone had fur trimmed coats and quilted jackets, it was hot and I queried this and was told it’s ‘fall’ so you dress for the season. Total insanity it must be a fall back position for people who can’t think for themselves. We also had central heating on in the flat we rented, it goes on in October or September and off in April, we had every window open and it was stifling.

4. Meg says:

Really love it. Assumed you’d have a wardrobe bulging with clothes from all your lovely makes.

5. J K Williams says:

Thanks for the sleeve info.
    I’m inspired!
    Nice make!!

6. Joanne Roberts says:

Looks great on you and the fabric is wonderful. Jo x

7. Allison says:

Super cute!!! Love!

8. Lily says:

That foot in the waistband is such a schnauzer thing! My girl did it all the time.

9. stitchesoftime says:

That looks amazing,I love those sleeves!

10. Justine says:

Love it! The fabric is beautiful and I really like the pleated sleeves. Thanks for the inspiration.

11. Claudia says:

Beautiful blouse and it I might say so: You look so young and fresh 🙂

12. PoundCake says:

I love this outfit! Free in money, and free-looking too – breezy and joyful!

13. I’m all about the woven shirts, so much cooler than anything knit for our hot, muggy summers (and springs, and falls). This one is cute, and free is always awesome. 🙂