Despite what you might think, more clothes can keep you cool during a heatwave!
It might feel counter-intuitive to wear more, but the sensation of a lightweight fabric billowing as you tip toe around the garden is ALL THE FEELS.
Of course, you might not be tip-toeing around a garden. You might be stuck in an overheated flat.
You still need to wear more layers!
This is why…
- Natural fabrics for the win – no compacted heat
- The breeze of billowing fabric helps
- Your skin is protected
- Breathable fabrics help wick sweat away
- Of course, still get naked at night!
So, here’s a run down of kimonos I suggest you wear at your desk.
- The Sew Over It Kimono Jacket
- I have used this free tutorial in the past, giving me a gorgeous silk piece.
- Isn’t this Suki robe gorgeous?
- This pattern is almost identical to the kimono I’m wearing right now.
- And, of course, we can always rely on the Big Four.
- I still wear this kimono dressing gown from Sew Over Vintage every single summer. It makes the perfect cover-up to sneak into your weekend bag.
I’m sure you know more cover-ups to protect from the heat! Could you share them in the comments?
If you are too impatient to wait for a pattern, do remember that most kimonos are a series of squares and oblongs. Maybe you could draft one yourself?
Whilst we’re on the topic of drafting patterns, could I put out a plea? Pattern designers, might we have some summer shorts inspiration? One that’s not an adaptation of a trouser pattern. Every summer I search for a shorts pattern I like; every summer I fail.
Stay cool, peeps!